Getting NPIP tested

Pgrine

Songster
Dec 27, 2018
Arcadia, Ohio
I live in Ohio. I went online a few days ago to see about getting NPIP tested and they sent me an email reply that same day! She called me and we are getting tested tomorrow morning! I'm a bit nervous about this because I don't know exactly what it entails. She seemed very eager to get here and get the testing done. My husband raises Bobwhite quail and I have a small flock of buff Orpingtons. She said she will test half my flock and about half the Bobwhites, because of a shortage of the stuff they use to test with. Can anyone give me any ideas on what to expect. I know that I need a table set up for her and also know that I need to catch the birds and hold them for her. Also it is $75 for the pullorum testing but the avian influenza testing is free.

That's about the extent of it. They prick a vein under the wing and take a dab of the blood, smear it on a plate and put a drop of antigen on it and if it stays in the same consistency, the bird is clean. After all the birds are tested, they'll fill out the paperwork and give you a copy and probably a booklet of the VS Form 9-3. There are 4 copies of each form that have to be completed for each sale of live birds and hatching eggs. One with the shipment, one for the seller and two to the state.
You can't bring any new birds onto your property after testing unless they have been P-T tested recently.
It is interesting they are charging for the P-T test but not for the AI test. It is the opposite here. P-T testing is free here and all other tests are at a cost.
Perhaps because Pullorum/Typhoid is the only test required federally to be NPIP.

That's about the extent of it. They prick a vein under the wing and take a dab of the blood, smear it on a plate and put a drop of antigen on it and if it stays in the same consistency, the bird is clean. After all the birds are tested, they'll fill out the paperwork and give you a copy and probably a booklet of the VS Form 9-3. There are 4 copies of each form that have to be completed for each sale of live birds and hatching eggs. One with the shipment, one for the seller and two to the state.
You can't bring any new birds onto your property after testing unless they have been P-T tested recently.
It is interesting they are charging for the P-T test but not for the AI test. It is the opposite here. P-T testing is free here and all other tests are at a cost.
Perhaps because Pullorum/Typhoid is the only test required federally to be NPIP.
Thank you for the information.

I tried to reassure you. I think you have to experience it to know how easy it is.

The worst part for me is figuring out how to catch between 30 and 70 wild birds in 6 buildings.

You did reassure me for sure. The process was definitely easier than I thought it was going to be. Our tester was very pleased that we made the choice to become NPIP certified, and everyone has been nice and helpful.

Back
Top Bottom