Getting Orpingtons! Need Advice!

Hens will be more feathered in and will have longer wings. Roosters will be less featherd in and they will have shorter wings and a pinker comb.
Agree w this. I hatched 2 Orpingtons last year, and suspiciously thought I had one of each since one feathered in quicker. That one did end up a female, and the slow-featherer was a male. Comb size is a big help also, and avoid any with visible wattles.

I’d say definitely choose the ones with the smallest amount of comb possible. I haven’t found feathering to be consistent, but mine have been early comb growers with tails that come in rather slow. This is a pic of my rooster at 3ish weeks old.
He's a cutie! I'll definitely be on the lookout for the smallest combs! It's seems the less tail feathers is more than likely roo, too. Is that what you've found, as well?

Agree w this. I hatched 2 Orpingtons last year, and suspiciously thought I had one of each since one feathered in quicker. That one did end up a female, and the slow-featherer was a male. Comb size is a big help also, and avoid any with visible wattles.
Thabk you so much!! It sounds like i should be looking for more feathers, less/lighter comb, no wattles. You all are so helpful!! :)

He's a cutie! I'll definitely be on the lookout for the smallest combs! It's seems the less tail feathers is more than likely roo, too. Is that what you've found, as well?
Yes, definitely slow tail feathers! He grew up to be so handsome and still a loving sweet boy. He would even allow baby chicks to sleep under his wings as a teenager, just love Orpingtons ❤️

Yes, definitely slow tail feathers! He grew up to be so handsome and still a loving sweet boy. He would even allow baby chicks to sleep under his wings as a teenager, just love Orpingtons ❤️
Oh my goodness!! He sounds like he was just precious!! ❤️❤️ We love the one we have, but got her at 16 weeks, so she has always been more timid around us. So fingers crossed these we'll enjoy being handled more, because we love chicken cuddles, and those orpington fluff butts are THE cutest.

I have found legs size, and comb and wattles, to be the best things to go off.
Cockerels tend to have pretty thick, chunky legs, and more red to the comb.
Pullets don't normally have any wattles at all at that age.
Feathers can be misleading and unreliable.
Thank you!! I'll be sure to check those comparisons, too!!!

Back
Top Bottom