Getting out of chickens: Rehoming my chickens vs keeping one alone?

Muffin14143

Songster
Feb 11, 2013
New England
Hi everyone. I have struggled with the possibility of rehoming my two bantam chickens for many months now. I have had one of the hens for 8 years, the other for 4, so this is not an easy decision for me, they are pets and I love them dearly. I am down to just two hens, and I have kept chickens for ten years and after these two pass away, I will not get any more. I wanted to rehome them before I get down to one because I do not want one hen to be lonely when the other inevitably passes away. I have had three people out to see them as potential adopters, and all three have decided against taking them after coming to see them. I am starting to think it might be more stressful for them (and certainly for me) to rehome them, I am tired of searching for potential homes for them, there doesn't seem to be anyone out there looking for two hens that fit the standard I would want for them. My question for you all is, would it be terribly inhumane to keep one remaining hen by herself when the other inevitably passes away? Does anyone else have experience with this situation that could offer some advice? I know eventually most people do stop having chickens, so this is a situation that everyone will inevitably face, but that doesn't make it any less sad or stressful.

I think if you had just the one chicken by itself it probably would be lonely. Maybe keep trying to find a chicken lover who would be willing to take them. My neighbor is going through this same scenario, and it's been hard to try to find someone to take her pair. I wish you good luck, keep us posted. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom