Box size for duckling

arnaromarsson

In the Brooder
May 27, 2024
Hi there, I hope I'm following the proper guidelines on making a thread. If not, I'm sorry I'm new here :)

I have a question about the size of the box that I keep my duckling in. My concern is that it might be too small.

A little backstory; I don't keep ducks or other birds. I found the egg abandoned, made it a little incubator and it hatched on the 1.May. I've been playing catch-up with it since, learning a lot from this community but still very new to this and a little unsure of most things.

Basic info:
A single mallard duckling (we're searching for another one (or two) to join it)
4 weeks old
Current dimension of box are 18 x 33 inches (floor plan)
Heat lamp + thermostat keep the temperature correct
The box is in our living room

Care routine:
Box is cleaned twice a day
Given baths every second day, sometimes every day
Taken outside when it's sunny
Has gotten a lot of cuddles
Is never alone for more than 2 hours

My question is; Will this box be big enough for it until we build it a little coop outside when it turns 8 weeks old?

Best,
Arnar

ps. Also any other comments or advise are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2063.JPG
    IMG_2063.JPG
    526.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2062.JPG
    IMG_2062.JPG
    428.7 KB · Views: 5
The box should be ok for sleeping. But, it is too small for being in all the time. I also currently have 4 week old ducklings, 3 of them. Mine are in a 55 gallon aquarium at night. The things is, they need to move and exercise their muscles during the day. Mine swim in the tub at least two times a day, more if it is raining and they can’t go outside. If it is sunny, they spend several hours in an enclosed outdoor pen wGetting enough exercise is difficult with a single duckling. If you can find others it will help. You can also hang bird toys in the cage. They help occupy their minds and get them standing. Don’t be surprised if he is terrified of the toys at first. If you happen to be near Memphis, TN, I might have a duckling friend for you.

The box should be ok for sleeping. But, it is too small for being in all the time. I also currently have 4 week old ducklings, 3 of them. Mine are in a 55 gallon aquarium at night. The things is, they need to move and exercise their muscles during the day. Mine swim in the tub at least two times a day, more if it is raining and they can’t go outside. If it is sunny, they spend several hours in an enclosed outdoor pen wGetting enough exercise is difficult with a single duckling. If you can find others it will help. You can also hang bird toys in the cage. They help occupy their minds and get them standing. Don’t be surprised if he is terrified of the toys at first. If you happen to be near Memphis, TN, I might have a duckling friend for you.
Thanks! that is very helpful. I will get crafty and make a larger pen for it outside!

2 follow ups;

1; If I make a larger pen outside and give it plenty of exercise, is it okay for it to sleep in this box I already have for the next 4 weeks?

2; Do they swim in cold water already at week4? cause so far I have been mixing the water so it's lukewarm.

Last edited:
Thanks! that is very helpful. I will get crafty and make a larger pen for it outside!

2 follow ups;

1; If I make a larger pen outside and give it plenty of exercise, is it okay for it to sleep in this box I already have for the next 4 weeks?

2; Do they swim in cold water already at week4? cause so far I have been mixing the water so it's lukewarm.
Mallards are pretty small so I think your box should be big enough for sleeping. Cool water yes, not shockingly cold. I still do lukewarm in the bathtub though. When mine are outside the water is air temperature since I fill their pool the night before. It gets pretty warm here during the day though (85 degrees F).

Back
Top Bottom