Injured duckling

Hillery Vincent

In the Brooder
Jul 1, 2023
So a few minutes or so ago my husband told me that he stepped on one of my ducklings. It is a Mallard duckling about 2 weeks old. He stepped on its backside, it walks but drags its backside and a leg while walking. I picked it up to look at it after I found out and saw a lot of blood. We already cleaned the wound, I have also took it out of the coop and brought it inside with me so I can keep an eye on it over night. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and the duckling survived or should I expect it to pass away in the next few days? Also I have yet to see it use the bathroom.

Attachments

• 16882601937827725696314166822473.jpg
    16882601937827725696314166822473.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 38
Keep the wound clean and keep the duckling inside while it’s healing to keep flies from laying eggs in the wound because maggots isn’t something you want. Veterycin spray for wounds and infection would be good to use. Did you check the leg to make sure it isn’t broken?

Keep the wound clean and keep the duckling inside while it’s healing to keep flies from laying eggs in the wound because maggots isn’t something you want. Veterycin spray for wounds and infection would be good to use. Did you check the leg to make sure it isn’t broken?
No I have not yet. I can tell it is in a lot of pain it bites at me when I go to pet it. But yes I told my husband I was putting it inside for a few days no matter what lol. I spoil my babies.

It’s most likely going to be sore for a couple days. With open wounds you want to keep them away from flies or you’ll have fly strike.
Sorry for the late update. But I had kept it inside for about 3 days, went got the Veterycin spray you mentioned. The wound fully closed, I had put it back outside the night before I went on vacation for a few days. It was jumping and trying to run then. When I came back home it was fully walking and running like nothing ever happened to it. Thank you so much for you advice on the spray it was well worth the asking for advice and the price I paid for it.

Back
Top Bottom