One of my three little ducklings randomly falling over

I just noticed you are in NC too.
Yeah, just south of Greensboro. Picked up the Durvet and gave each of the ducklings probably about 1/4 mL which I think was about a couple of drops. I want to make sure all of my little ducklings have strong legs. The plan is to get some female ducks as we have no idea what sex these are and some goslings to help protect the flock.

We picked up an assortment of chicks and 3 ducks a few days ago. I noticed just a few minutes ago when the duckling went to walk they would fall over ending up on its little back and would begin flapping and kicking. After giving the duckling some time the duckling is back up on its feet. Is this anything to be concerned with? We've fed them the Medicated Purina Start & Grow and chick grit.
I don't believe ducks are supposed to have medicated feed?

Forum members have linked this and said that is a myth. It is recommended they be fed unmedicated food but research has shown it's not horrible for them from my reading.
From my research and talking to duck experts I've been advised that medicated feed is to be avoided with ducks in part because they do not need it and often eat more than chicks resulting in them getting a larger dose than the chicks :) We cannot always get waterfowl crumble in our area so I order online. Another reason I feed waterfowl specific feed is to make sure they have the correct amount of niacin, etc without worry. I do keep nutritional yeast on hand just in case though and add Eggs Fresh Daily brewers yeast blend to their food which is super easy.

I wonder though if it could possibly be a growing phase with the ducklings legs? When we got our Pekins last spring I was advised by more than one person that it can happen and straighten out on its own. At the time I didn't wanna take any chances on a deficiency though so I added nutritional yeast to his food and it straightened out. He was prob 3xs the size at the time that I started noticing weakness in his legs.

From my research and talking to duck experts I've been advised that medicated feed is to be avoided with ducks in part because they do not need it and often eat more than chicks resulting in them getting a larger dose than the chicks :) We cannot always get waterfowl crumble in our area so I order online. Another reason I feed waterfowl specific feed is to make sure they have the correct amount of niacin, etc without worry. I do keep nutritional yeast on hand just in case though and add Eggs Fresh Daily brewers yeast blend to their food which is super easy.

I wonder though if it could possibly be a growing phase with the ducklings legs? When we got our Pekins last spring I was advised by more than one person that it can happen and straighten out on its own. At the time I didn't wanna take any chances on a deficiency though so I added nutritional yeast to his food and it straightened out. He was prob 3xs the size at the time that I started noticing weakness in his legs.
I wish I could keep them together with the chicks and get them to eat their separate food. They're all so cute, they all cuddle up together at the end of the tote each night to sleep. They're spending very little time underneath the brooder heater anymore.

This morning I heard my duckling carrying on about something. We came in here to the same duckling, we named Whiskey, over on its back. We got Whiskey back on his/her feet, but Whiskey has done fell back over a couple more times. Got my bird feeding syringe in last night that @Miss Lydia told me about to help give Whiskey the 1mL of vitamin B complex. I hope our Whiskey is going to be okay...

Whiskey is just a few days past 2 weeks old. Whiskey is larger than the other two ducks that we got at the same time. When we weighed them last time Whiskey was 10 g heavier than the other two. I've had to run down the road to go check on another ladies heat, just hoping nothing happens to Whiskey while I'm gone... Whiskey is my wife's favorite.

Got back home and the wife said she kept falling over. Took a video in case it helps see anything. https://photos.app.goo.gl/E427SXznzJaiBXDS7 I'm thinking of maybe trying to put the ducks in their own brooder to get them away from the medicated chick food and let them eat their own duck crumble. At this point I'll do whatever will work...I just don't want her falling over under the heater or being pecked when I'm not here to help.

How long should it take her to get better? I don't understand why all of a sudden she's falling over again and I don't want her to be in any pain. Breaks my heart to see Whiskey falling over.

Back
Top Bottom