Severe respiratory infection in duck, hot feet, barely eating or drinking

Nuggetanddaffy

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
I want to make this post to hopefully help others who are like me (first time duckling owner) who may be struggling with the same issues that my week old duckling Nugget was experiencing. I want to start by saying the advice and quick answers I have received in this group is AMAZING and I couldn’t be thankful enough. My week old duckling, Nugget, started having noticeable breathing difficulties. It was breathing with its mouth open a lot and appeared to be panting but wasn’t overheating (the panting wouldn’t stop even when I took him COMPLETELY out of his enclosure away from the heat lamp), had a “crackling noise” when he was breathing and was sneezing a lot, had extremely hot feet from a fever, was barely eating or drinking, and all he wanted to do was lay down and sleep. When I tell y’all I tried EVERY PIECE OF ADVICE yall gave in order to save my Nugget. I was told by many that he was just too far gone and that he wasn’t going to make it and I needed to prepare myself for when he passed. I REFUSED to give up hope that my baby Nugget wouldn’t pull through. And HE DID. So I’m going to compile a list of all advice I was given by all of y’all to hopefully help others struggling with these same issues HELP SAVE THEIR BABIES!! ::

1.) VetRx. Make sure it’s FOR DUCKLINGS. During the day I would mix a cup of HOT WATER with 2 teaspoons of VetRx. Note that the water HAS TO BE HOT in order for the VetRx to properly mix in otherwise it will just float at the top!! I gave a bowl of water with the VetRx mixture in it during the day for him to drink on and at night would directly drop one drop of undiluted VetRx down his throat.
2.) electrolyte and probiotic packets. These two packets CAN BE MIXED TOGETHER!! Mix the packets with a gallon of water and give it to your babies!! (Yes the water should be an odd orange color this threw me off a bit lol).
3.) make sure food, bedding, and water is changed out REGULARLY. Especially when your baby is already experiencing breathing difficulties. Dirty bedding can cause mold which will worsen the respiratory symptoms. Same with food. If your ducklings food gets wet or you decide to add water to it, don’t allow it to be eaten if it’s been wet for over an hour. Wet food can go sour and also cause mold. Just don’t risk it!!
4.) if you’re like me and have concerns of a niacin deficiency (even if they don’t have a niacin deficiency extra niacin in their diet won’t hurt) and can’t seem to get brewers yeast or any kind of niacin powder ANYWHERE (I ordered some but it will take another week to arrive) give your ducklings CRUSHED PEAS. They have niacin in them. Don’t give it to them whole if they’re young considering they will get stuck in their throat so be sure to crush them!! Frozen peas are fine as long as they are completely defrosted!!
I hope this helps someone else who is struggling to help their baby. I refused to give up hope on my duckling despite how bad off he was and what the statistics for survival were. Fight for your duckling. Couldn’t be thankful enough for this advice from this group. Yall truly helped save my sweet nuggets life ❥

Back
Top Bottom