Getting pullets to sleep on the roosting bar?

44Wolves

Here is Your New Title
13 Years
Jun 28, 2009
How can I get my 4 pullets to sleep on the roosting bar? Right now, they only sleep in a certain nesting box, and lots of poop accumulates in it, and it just gets really messy. They know the bar is there- at least I have seen two of them on it. Whenever I take one of the other 2, who I have not seen on the roosting bar, out of the coop, the 2 of them will hop up into their roosting bar and start peeping for their sister to come back. Either way-- they will not sleep up there, and the nesting box is becoming a pain. Will they just go up their in time or do I need to train them in some way?

The previous thread entitled 'new hens' may make helpful reading for you. As mentioned, I wish I had been a bit tougher and more persistent. Good luck and let us know how you go.

I will read it now c; And As my signature says, they are...
a wheaten maran, 1 hamburg x Ameraucana cross, 1 lakenvelder x Ameraucana cross, and 1 olive egger.

Ok,we'll some breeds and even some chickens themselves will not roost.Mine won't they all sleep in a big bundle.I have silkies so they look like a pile of fluff.:)

I will read it now c; And As my signature says, they are...
a wheaten maran, 1 hamburg x Ameraucana cross, 1 lakenvelder x Ameraucana cross, and 1 olive egger.
Just an FYI the signatures don't show up on the mobile site so sometimes folks may seem to be asking the obvious but aren't :) Ours slept in the box for quite a while but then one day just decided they were big girls :). They will sometimes go back in there for the night on rare occasions which I suspect have to do with whether or not they get their favourite roosting spot or not lol How old are they? If still quite young I'd probably just leave them a bit to work it out but if they are nearly or at laying age I'd encourage them out of the nest by putting something in their way at night.

Oh, they don't? Sorry if I seemed a bit snotty cx. I'm going to put stuff in the nesting boxes, but they are... 9 weeks old. I saw two of them on the roosting bar this morning when I walked in, just after I made this thread- I have no clue if they just jumped up or if they slept. But, it was one that usually will hop up, and then one of the ones I had never seen up there.

I take them out of the nest and put them on the roost after the sun goes down. I have that same issue now. Eventually they'll get it. :)

I did that tonight, left them alone for a few minutes- one had jumped down so Iput her back up. She jumped off again, and so did all of the others, but one, who probably jumped down after I left. Day 1- fail.

Keep at it. You will know where they have slept due to poo pile. Honestly, I wish ours weren't sleeping in the nesting boxes. We, and them, are just too soft! You won't regret it once ÿou win in the end.

Back
Top Bottom