Getting quails for eggs - how old should they be?

Seems like there is a consensus that Quails wont climb that ladder... haha will take that thing down.

Any concerns on them eating sand? Is it more normal to expect that since they probably never had before?
My young quail quickly used to learn a ramp at about the same steepness as that, but it depends on the individuals and their age. I don't think my older birds would ever venture onto one.

- A lot of interest in the dust bath, they clearly did not have one at the farm (they were at the typical metallic structures overlayed one over another)
It's great that they have a more naturalistic set-up now! Quail do dust bathe when they're stressed, but hopefully that is not the case here.

Any concerns on them eating sand? Is it more normal to expect that since they probably never had before?
I purposely buy construction grade sand for my quail to dust bathe in and they do eat quite a bit of it as grit. I use construction grade because it's not bleached, chemically treated or cleaned with harsh chemicals, nor is it dyed.

It's great that they have a more naturalistic set-up now! Quail do dust bathe when they're stressed, but hopefully that is not the case here.
My guess is they probably are stressed - they just got moved today. But hopefylly the set up helps them relax and enjoy a better life (and not delay too many weeks in lay eggs again)!

I had never realised they dust bathe when stressed. My button chicks were going crazy with bathing when I changed them over to pine shavings the other day. I thought they were just in love with the new bedding 😕

Back
Top Bottom