getting ready for my FIRST chicks

hounddog2010

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
alabama
Hello this is my first time on BYC, I am trying to get ready for my first chicks. I would appreciate any suggestion. My main concerns is the first few days, feeding and watering... how much, how often.what type. My first chicks will be bantums about 25. This is trial & error for me, I want as little error as possible.
thanks for any help and advice

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
I had to raise two button quail chicks because they were attacked by their parents! I had food and water readily available to them all day long because they know when to eat and drink and how much! The best way to give them water is to have a water-dispenser and fill it with marbles or small, clean pebbles so they don't drown (They drown incredibly fast)!!
If you're getting chicks that were hatched in a hatchery them you might wan't to show them how to eat and drink! They usually have their mother to show them this stuff but now you have to take over the role! I used my finger and pecked around with it in the food and water! My quail chicks actually responded better when I used the tip of a thermometer that I used! It was thinner than my finger so I could point it to small grains of chick starter which they would then eat! It's really fun! ! So some of the most important points are: keep them warm
don't let them drown
let them eat as much as
they want!

That's all I know! Let's see what the others have to say!
Good luck!

Welcome to the forum!

There is lots of information in our Learning Center at the top of the page, including a section on raising baby chicks.

Hi hi! Welcome! I'm new at this, too, but there are so many people here who have a ton of knowledge and experience! Just through a question out there and let them have at it! I've got 2 and a half week old Barred Rock chicks that I'm starting with. I'm starting a small breeding flock and I'm hoping to be able to have some meat birds once the breeding is under way! Best of luck to you and your future chickens!!! :) :D

I used a small feeder and waterer (made for baby chicks) , just keep it filled, they know how much to eat. I did find the water needed to be changed several times a day because the chicks would kick bedding into it. I used a file cabinet laid on the floor for a brooder (make sure whatever you use does not have sharp edges). Don't forget to get a light that can be adjusted by height to keep the chicks warm but not to warm. You will know by how they act, huddled under the light, to cold, sleeping away from the light to warm! There really is tons of info on this website including a great guide specifically for raising chicks. Let me know if you need any advice!

I used a large plastic pool w pine shavings ( never cedar cuz they r toxic) along with a small waterer n trof for food. Keep ur heat bulb a few feet a up n monitor if the chicks are spread out that means they r too hot, if they r huddled they r too cold. With the plastic pool they have space to move around to regulate thier own heat. As they start to feather move ur heat up a bit n see how they react. I use a plate upside down under thier water cuz its raised a lil n helps keep shavings out of it. Just always always keep their water fresh n feed as much as they want. Good luck! P.s. I also used chicken wire at about two wks old around the pool ( in my guest room) cuz they started getting out. The higher the sides the better

Back
Top Bottom