Getting Ready For Winter

Adopted Chickenman wrote:

I have enjoyed all the comments concerning your topics, but I still would like a better explanation of the poop hammock. Because of my rather poor planning, my outside roosts are directly above my sandpit that the girls use for sun/sand bathing. I clean the sandpit every other day along with the run. This is no problem but if I can make life easier, why not. As the old saying goes, work smarter and not harder. So any info you can give concerning the overall manufacture and assembly would greatly be appreciated. I would also use the poop hammock in the coop under the roosts. Thanks, Adopted Chickenman

I've written to best known American carpenter of the poop hammock and I'm sure he'll be responding shortly. I would try and describe how it all goes together- indeed should be able to as I designed the contraption- but alas mine brain is not a linear one. The poultry cote carpenters at Plymouth Colony Farm are going to be able to describe the poop hammock from an engineering stand point and they've tried out different shapes and sizes in different poultry enclosures.

As for your outdoor perches- might they be replaced with circular perches- for example- a wagon wheel suspended from the centre- a tire suspended from the centre- a home made branch wreath suspended from the centre-?

You'll need to secure these circular perches so that they don't swing widely when birds fly onto them. I prefer this design because it's easy to put an improvised poop hammock under them.

I believe the carpenters at Plymouth Colony Cote actually build them to spec. as well...​

Well, sorry for the slow response Resolution and Adopted Chickenman,

You would certainly save yourself a bit of time with a poop hammock. Depending on how many birds you have you would only have to harvest your manure every 2 or 3 weeks. And if your talking about 6 birds or so, you may only need to clean it out once a month! If some leaves are placed in the hammock then it makes clean up a lot easier.

70075_poop_hammock.jpeg

Last edited:
70075_sdc13008.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words.

And a video is worth ten thousand (maybe).
This link shows the poop hammock in action!

Last edited:
Yashar, thanks for the great video. Its good to see them in action and get more of a feel for the way they work. It looks like the poop hammocks allow you to fit more bird in a smaller space, because you can stack the roosts without the birds below getting soiled. Out of curiosity, how many birds are housed in that space? What is the square footage of floor space? About how many feet of roosting space?

Thanks again, really impressive!

I put up a poop hammock in my larger coop on Sunday...used the shade cloth for the base and then put a tarp on top of the shade cloth....felt the tarp would be easier to clean then the shade cloth. I then sprinkled DE on top of the tarp to dry out the droppings...so far so good! By doing this it gave the chickens addl area approx 3 x 6 under the roost that was virutally poop free to have as free space.

Quote:
At the moment I have about 60 birds in the cote. It is about 6x16. There is about 72' of roosting poles. I'm not really planning on having them that cramped, but we're in the process of converting one of our small goat barns into a chicken barn.
There would be no way of having that many chickens in such a small area if it were not for the poop hammocks. It keeps everything very clean.
Here is a video of the poop hammock in our Breeder Cote.

what does your poop hammock 'bring to the table' that a regular dropping board lacks? I have a dropping board the entire lenght of my roost and I love it.. I use cat litter scoops to clean the poop out of the shavings every morning... But i am willing to look at something different for my new coops... Thanks Dixie

Quote:
the birds don't want to walk on or through it and being that it's shade-cloth, I find the airflow helps in drying out the excrement- I can POUR out the crumbly poo really easily.

Quote:
the birds don't want to walk on or through it and being that it's shade-cloth, I find the airflow helps in drying out the excrement- I can POUR out the crumbly poo really easily.

Right,
Also, when I clean up, the cote looks nearly as nice as when it was built. I don't think I would even be able to practically use then with the setup we have. In some of our cotes the roosts are 10 & 11 feet high. The one pictured below hangs at about 7 feet. I use a lader every couple weeks, and like Dixiedoodle said, for the most part the poop comes rolling out into the wheelbarow. What does stick, I spray with the hose and finnish cleaning up. By the time I come back to hange the hammock back up I give it a final spray and it lookes like new.
I can clean up after 175 chickens in a couple of hours once a week.

70075_sdc13000.jpg

This is our "solar cote."
70075_sdc12995.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom