Getting ready for winter.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bochelle6563, Sep 16, 2012.

1. bochelle6563

bochelle6563 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    We are moving from the portable coop to the greenhouse with a coop inside of it for winter. It is all on the same property, but what is the best way to get them to go in the greenhouse at night and roost in their new coop. Not sure if I should just put them in it every night until they start doing it on their own or slowly start moving the portable coop over until it is near the greenhouse and then transition them. Any ideas?[​IMG]

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    give them time to adjust, they will use them in no time. make sure they have their nest boxes food and water.

3. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Can you lock them in the new greenhouse coop for a week or so? They will need to re-learn where 'home' is. When I moved my little girls into the big coop, I locked everyone up in the coop w/ attached run for 8days.. I never had anyone return to their old home'

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    what are the temps inside your green house? it will need to be very well ventilated or it could be a problem in the health of your birds. The temps could get too high during the day. And you could get a serious build up of moisture, which can lead to frost bite when the sun goes down.

But perhaps your green house is different than what I am thinking.

MrsK

5. bochelle6563

bochelle6563 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2012
    @ Mrs K, the greenhouse has a vent system at the ceiling so I am hoping this will do the trick for what you are describing. Also has a dehumidifier. Hopefully this will be enough to keep the humidity in check.

@queen bee, I did what u said but for only two days and they have figured it out already! Smart chickens! Even started to lay in the net box I built in there. I'm still coaxing them in around 6 pm just to be sure they are really gettin the new routine.

Thanks everyone for the advise!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by