getting ready to be new chicken "Parents"

beektoria

Chirping
Mar 1, 2009
Everett, Wa
I'm working on the plans for our new family members (haven't adopted them yet). I'm concerned about the time spent away from new chicks. They would be alone with each other for about 8.5 hrs a day 4 days a week. Would it be better to try to find juvinile birds rather than getting chicks?

I think they would be fine! As long as you check them for pasty butt (when they're tiny) once or twice a day, make sure they have food and water before you leave and when you get home, and as long as they can get under heat lamps and then away from the heat...I don't think you have anything to worry about. Though I can't promise your job performance won't suffer, with your mind focused on your chicks at home.
wink.png

Thanks! We really do want the chicks...Mostly we want them to be healthy. How many chickens do you have? Forgive me, I'm slow. I counted 14 in your menagerie!
Fortunately I work for a great Dr. One who will benefit from my chickens by way of the eggs.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from CT
frow.gif

I leave my chicks sometimes for that long and as long as they have enough food, water, and warmth, they will be fine. They will be on your mind alot, but I've learned I can leave them longer and longer. I found it harder when they were a few weeks old, they run out of water quicker. Enjoy them.. they grow fast!

Quote:
You know, I don't even know how many I have.
lol.png
I just rehomed two of the roosters, so minus those from my signature. I still have three roos to rehome (maybe I can keep one...) and I want to get a few more chicks for my daughter for Easter. I live in a suburb, so I can't have too many. The neighbors already think I'm a bit crazy. I'm worried about my chickens tonight because I was gone out at dusk and the coop door got blown shut. I came home to find that they're all sleeping under the coop and I couldn't get them out! I'm hoping nothing bothers them tonight.
sad.png

Anyway,
welcome-byc.gif
!!!

You'll like it here, people are friendly. Don't hesitate to ask lots of questions, and please post pictures of your chicks when you get them!

What breeds are you getting?

Back
Top Bottom