Getting ready to build a new coop and have questions

Crazy For Color

Chirping
May 2, 2016
Michigan
We will be building a new coop in the next couple of days and want to make sure I have the right ideas. I have 6 chickens total, with 3 of them being silkies. My idea is to build it 3 1/2 feet wide, 4 feet long, and 4 feet tall. I will have 2 roosts, one 5 inches from the floor and one 2 feet from the floor, approx 15 inches apart. The ventilation will be 5 inches x 3 feet, on 2 walls. The pen is 7x8 foot and the coop will be in the back corner so it will basically be up against 2 walls (that's why I'm only considering putting ventilation on 2 walls) I'm concerned with adding enough ventilation without causing drafts. I'm also struggling with how to make it so that cleaning is not to difficult. Right now, there's a drawer that pulls out for easy cleaning. I am using wood chips but am seriously considering using sand in the new one. I'm attaching a picture because my set up is a bit different because the coop is inside a pen, with an attached run. We bought a coop online and it's just to small and will not be warm enough in the winter. We live in mid Michigan. The new coop will be made out of plywood, covered with insulation panels, and then sided. Any advice on adding something or changing something will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I have an excellent thread for you to read thru, Most if not all of your questions will be addressed there.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/596294/post-your-chicken-coop-pictures-here

WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

We will be building a new coop in the next couple of days and want to make sure I have the right ideas. I have 6 chickens total, with 3 of them being silkies. My idea is to build it 3 1/2 feet wide, 4 feet long, and 4 feet tall. I will have 2 roosts, one 5 inches from the floor and one 2 feet from the floor, approx 15 inches apart. The ventilation will be 5 inches x 3 feet, on 2 walls. The pen is 7x8 foot and the coop will be in the back corner so it will basically be up against 2 walls (that's why I'm only considering putting ventilation on 2 walls) I'm concerned with adding enough ventilation without causing drafts. I'm also struggling with how to make it so that cleaning is not to difficult. Right now, there's a drawer that pulls out for easy cleaning. I am using wood chips but am seriously considering using sand in the new one. I'm attaching a picture because my set up is a bit different because the coop is inside a pen, with an attached run. We bought a coop online and it's just to small and will not be warm enough in the winter. We live in mid Michigan. The new coop will be made out of plywood, covered with insulation panels, and then sided. Any advice on adding something or changing something will be greatly appreciated.
Go bigger!...at least 4x6x4.

Your pen looks like a coop to me. Rather than a little 'dog house' coop inside, consider the whole thing, and partially enclose two or three sides, leaving the south side open if possible. In winter, two layers of plastic sheeting six feet up will enclose it enough, with plenty of ventilation, and room for more birds, and easy cleanout. Mary

Others may agree to disagree, but in my experience, a pull out cleaning tray has issues of its own while seemingly a great idea in concept. If too large, it could be too heavy. With a tight fit, it may not slide back into place correctly when bedding and other debris blocks the return path. My option for a small coop is too add side doors to allow good cleanout acccess without the need to climb in on hands and knees.

The covered run by the way, seems too have been well thought out and well constructed. Make sure that any insulation is covered. The birds will otherwise make a mess of it.

if you can move the coop around, why not scoot it to the right side of the pen (where the roof hangs lower), so that way you can probably add a large access door to clean the coop or collect eggs without having to go inside the pen. Plus itll free up another side of the coop for added ventilation.
Or better yet, relocate the coop right outside the pen so the chickens can have more room in the pen, plus you have the potential to expand the coop size if needed and you have all 4 sides free for added ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom