Getting ready to caponize. Anything I am forgetting?

Carson213

Songster
Aug 31, 2020
West Coast
I am going to take away food at 24 hrs and water at 12 hrs. I have adequate light plus magnification and two helpers. I wasn’t planning to use suture or cyanoacrylate. However, I am open to insight...any other instruments that you would recommend? I am going to start on left side and try to get both testes from one side. I am also going to time it so we start in the evening while the birds are roosting...then put the caponized cockerels back into the brooder house for a couple days before going back to the coop. Please provide any additional help ;)

Attachments

• 14EE7CCC-D7AE-496E-9A46-94F864722CEE.jpeg
    14EE7CCC-D7AE-496E-9A46-94F864722CEE.jpeg
    310.4 KB · Views: 34
I am going to take away food at 24 hrs and water at 12 hrs. I have adequate light plus magnification and two helpers. I wasn’t planning to use suture or cyanoacrylate. However, I am open to insight...any other instruments that you would recommend? I am going to start on left side and try to get both testes from one side. I am also going to time it so we start in the evening while the birds are roosting...then put the caponized cockerels back into the brooder house for a couple days before going back to the coop. Please provide any additional help ;)
I drilled holes in standing height tables with tie downs for feet and wings to lay each bird on its right side to access from the left side.

Attachments

• B39C1DC3-ECE6-4BE2-B1B3-D3A4C80419B0.jpeg
    B39C1DC3-ECE6-4BE2-B1B3-D3A4C80419B0.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 18
I have no knowledge of caponization to share but I'm interested in following your progress.

You might want to ask a moderator to move this thread to the meat bird section though. You'll probably get more helpful responses there. :)

Back
Top Bottom