Getting ready to get started with coturnix!

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
I had ordered a huge batch of coturnix eggs back in January or so, but didn't have any hatch because of the incubator spiking. I decided to work on my button stock and work on getting a few pet chickies, since they take so long to lay. Now, later today, I'm getting some started birds from Sam, and Chris (not from this forum, but the guy that I got my original button stock from) will have a dozen eggs ready for me on either Sunday or Monday. I figure I'll raise the hens from Chris and keep a roo, butcher the excess males, then switch the roos from Chris and Sam to cross the bloodlines. And, some of the birds from Sam are going to be butcher birds! I can't very' wait to FINALLY get to eat something! Lol. I sound like some type of psycho killer or something, but gosh I'm excited to finally be able to try quail meat. Can't wait for eggs! Hopefully I can trick Grem into eating boiled eggs! Lol. He HATES boiled chicken eggs, but I think it's more of a texture issue, and I have the feeling that he'll take itsy eggs better than cut up chicken eggs. Hopefully my evil, conniving plan works, lol. I almost feel bad that I'm drooling over living creatures, but, I think it'll be worth the guilt once I finally get to eat some eggs and meat.
big_smile.png

Lol. No pics yet, I've been slacking in the pic department lately and need to update pics of everyone. These guys are amazing. You pick them up and they don't even flutter, they just don't care that they're being picked up and fussed with. Plus, I LOVE the cricket sound that they make.
big_smile.png
Thanks again Sam!

No problem! If I was you though I would seperate the 5 females....one breeder male and the texas A&M from the other males. And butcher them ASAP. Otherwise the fighting could probably get pretty bad.
Let me know how it goes and if you need and help with the butchering just let me know.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom