Getting ready to hatch barnyard mix

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ccrane11, Jan 12, 2016.

1. ccrane11

ccrane11 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2014
    Canon City Colorado
    I am going to incubate some eggs in February. The eggs will come from good laying hens of large brown eggs. Trying to get an idea of how much to sell the chicks for as barnyard straight run. The hens are RIR's, RIW's, New Hampshire Red's, and Golden Sex Links crossed with either a RIR, or Plymoth Barred Rock roosters.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  2. yes2matt

yes2matt Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2010
    Why don't you put your RIWs under the RIR for sex-links, you might get ad much as $8 for the pullets, depending on your area and marketing channel.

3. ccrane11

Jun 23, 2014
    Canon City Colorado
    They all run together but last hatch was a test run which I kept and it produced two golden sex link pullets and a red pullet and a few roos.

4. ccrane11

Jun 23, 2014
    Canon City Colorado
    I think my RIR rooster is more dominent. Forgot to mention my Silver Lackenvelder rooster.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  5. yes2matt

May 8, 2010
    If it was me, I'd split them, put the RIR and RIW under the RIW, the others under the BR. One pen gives you RIR from the brown eggs and sexlinks from the white ones, the other pen gives you some brown egg laying mixes which will be real pretty.

You could get $6 for a sexlink pullet all day, $5 for straight run RIR, maybe more (assuming they're hatchery quality) , 2-5 for straight run mutts, depending on lots of factors.

6. yes2matt

May 8, 2010
    Edit, RIR roo in first pen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by