Getting ready to hatch barnyard mix

ccrane11

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 23, 2014
Canon City Colorado
I am going to incubate some eggs in February. The eggs will come from good laying hens of large brown eggs. Trying to get an idea of how much to sell the chicks for as barnyard straight run. The hens are RIR's, RIW's, New Hampshire Red's, and Golden Sex Links crossed with either a RIR, or Plymoth Barred Rock roosters.

Last edited:
I am going to incubate some eggs in February. The eggs will come from good laying hens of large brown eggs. Trying to get an idea of how much to sell the chicks for as barnyard straight run. The hens are RIR's, RIW's, New Hampshire Red's, and Golden Sex Links crossed with either a RIR, or Plymoth Barred Rock.
Why don't you put your RIWs under the RIR for sex-links, you might get ad much as $8 for the pullets, depending on your area and marketing channel.

If it was me, I'd split them, put the RIR and RIW under the RIW, the others under the BR. One pen gives you RIR from the brown eggs and sexlinks from the white ones, the other pen gives you some brown egg laying mixes which will be real pretty.

You could get $6 for a sexlink pullet all day, $5 for straight run RIR, maybe more (assuming they're hatchery quality) , 2-5 for straight run mutts, depending on lots of factors.

Back
Top Bottom