1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting ready to incubate bantams - questions!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hfchristy, Apr 18, 2012.

1. hfchristy

hfchristy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    I'm expecting some Australian Spotted eggs in the mail today, and trying to make sure I've got everything mentally figured out for what I'm doing next!

First question: I've read a few posts about letting eggs sit for 12-24 hours after shipping before setting them, but the books I have don't mention that. What's the reason for doing this?

Second question: I've heard that bantams can be more difficult to hatch, but have no idea what this means. Just less forgiving of fluctuations? Or are the requirements actually a bit different? Are ideal temps & cooling requirements the same? From what I've read, the incubation period is a bit shorter, so I'm assuming that lockdown should happen a day or two sooner. Any other differences?

Thanks!
    Christy

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    You allow them to settle after shipping so that air bubbles can float up to where they belong if the air cell is broken.

I've not hatched bantams, so no advice there. Although, I suspect it is just the Calls that are difficult to hatch.

Australian Spotted ducks are gorgeous. best luck to you on the hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by