Getting ready to start up in Maryland

KurtG

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 5, 2014
Maryland
Just found out that my County is now allowing hens in residential areas (started last year unbenkownst to me). Restrictions are kind of tight, but doable. Got plans for a coop and run after looking on here and am planning to order a few Marans for spring after also reading posts and seeing the eggs and hens (if hatcherys ever start taking Spring bookings). One of the kids wants Polish but I had hundreds of assorted rare breeds growing up and dont remember them laying all that well and we got to be picky given the restriction on the number of hens allowed. Should be interesting for the kids, can't wait to order.

Got to get the coop built and inspected over the winter. meanwhile getting impatinet for Spring 2015 hatch dates......

Never heard of using sand or PDX before reading here, but might give them a try.

That's GREAT!! How many birds are you allowed to have? I'm guessing no roosters. Welcome to Backyard chickens. Have you visited our Learning Center? It's a good place to start. Then you may like"Raising Backyard Chickens," forum .

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Oh you need to use sand! Sand sand and more sand!! I use it everywhere...coops, runs and even nest boxes! Sand is very soft on the foot pads of the birds, it absorbs poop smells, repels flies and what is really nice is you can hose it down in the summer and it keeps the birds really cool. Cool feet mean cooler birds! I love it and will never return to standard bedding again! Here is a nice link on sand if you want more info on it....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

Stop by our learning center too. Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey you are on and welcome to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us. Don't know how many chickens you can have or plan, but do include more space than you expect. Wish I had listened to that advice and wouldn't have had to remodel the first year.

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. I raised Golden Polish for a while, and you are right; they don't lay particularly well, and their eggs tend to run on the small side. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your Marans.

Back
Top Bottom