Getting rid of grass

Silkiechicken66

Songster
6 Years
Jul 22, 2016
Does anyone have any tips of getting rid of grass?
I used to use a spray, but haven’t needed to since I got chickens. Weed eating and pulling by hand is only getting me so far.
So if anyone has any chicken safe suggestions, I’m all ears!

Cover it with black tarps if it’s a small enough area
provided it fits the situation this could be the best answer you will get. I use Cardboard myself because you can just leave it down and let it degrade into soil.

Is it a small area. My chickens Had grass in there run and within 2 days of digging its dirt and straw now and no sign of grass lol.
if you have a situation where you can use Chickens they will deplete an area of grass, depending not he chickens and how many you have will depend on how long it will take.

If neither of these works take pictures of the are and describe why those won't work. There are Herbicides that kill grass but its not something I would use but it might be perfect for you.

It’s a small flower bed That runs by the side of my house, I’ll get some photos when I have the chance. I already have a tarp under all the mulch, I could theoretically dig it back out and recover. But I’ve tried using my chickens to keep the grass down but they’ve been slacking!

It’s a small flower bed That runs by the side of my house, I’ll get some photos when I have the chance. I already have a tarp under all the mulch, I could theoretically dig it back out and recover. But I’ve tried using my chickens to keep the grass down but they’ve been slacking!
you can always use Chicken Feed bags for that. Not sure if you have paper or plastic bags but if its plastic then they are pretty much Tarp like material, if its paper you can just leave it there to decompose after the grass under it dies, intact its a great composting combination.

What happens to me is that the mulch on top of the "tarp" composts or rots enough that weed and grass seeds can sprout and grow in it or grass runners can grow in it. I don't know what plants are in that bed, annuals or perennials, what kind of mulch you are using, or what kind of "tarp" you are using.

I use wood chips for mulch and clean the mulch off the tarp once a year. Anything that is composted is used as compost, often put under the tarp as it is a perennial bed. The wood chips that are still wood is used as mulch again, usually in my veggie garden. It's work but once it's cleaned it stays grass free for a pretty good while. Then I need to do it again.

I don't know what kind of bed you are working with or what kind of grass it is, but grass can be a real headache in those beds.

Back
Top Bottom