getting rid of mice in the barn

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by honeyk, Aug 24, 2010.

1. honeyk

honeyk Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2008
    easton, pa
    The mice are driving me nuts. They are tearing open bags, climbing in and out of cabinets and I don't know how to get rid of them. Have tried to ultrasonic to no avail. Almost seems worse. Really do not want poison in the barn. Any ideas?

2. journey's end

journey's end Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2009
    Prince Edward Island
    Get a barn cat or two? They are great for mousing. I always have a few hanging around. Never a mouse,no opened bags,nothing.

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

I don't know how you feel about snakes but they are great mousers. When they get bad in our feed barn I just leave the door open for awhile and the snakes have them gone in no time.

Steve

4. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    Barn cats, snap traps or sticky traps to avoid the poisons.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Battery operated mouse traps!!!!!! They work GREAT!! I used to use snap traps but the way they are made now, mice kept getting the pbutter and never got snapped. Don't understand why. I got two for a small 8X10 plastic shed and killed over 20 in two weeks (I think they were nesting under it) Pretty easy to get rid of the bodies and reset them. You can buy them at hardware stores and probably chains like TSC. [​IMG]

6. Casey3043

Casey3043 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had mice in my workshop/tractor shed where I kept the chicken feed. They got into several bags of grass seed as well. As dsgard said, the mice can take the bait off snap traps without tripping them. I got one Victor electronic trap ($20 at Lowe's) and caught them all one after another. Now I am free of them, but keep the trap set just in case.

Go to Amazon to read the reviews on the electronic trap. It tells how they work and how to use them correctly. I didn't want to use poison either because of the birds and animals.

Good luck.

7. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Why not make the feed unaccessable to the mice? Put your feed in trash cans, or build several bins lined with tin flashing or such so they can't chew their way in. If they can't find food, they may go elsewhere, and your feed bill will go down! [​IMG]

8. Giammona farm

Giammona farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Point Reyes Station, CA
    lots of good electronic mouse traps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by