Getting rid of smell and bugs in chicken coop

I have been using dollar store dish pans with pine shavings in my nests for several years now and they have been extremely easy to clean up.
If you decide to go this route make sure to size the nest boxes to fit the pans and have an anti-tip board under the front lip. Had a pullet tip a nest and get trapped under it.

Mine needs a paint job but I do have a picture.
IMG_20230528_063134_3.jpg

Last edited:
Another option for nest "liners" is folded up empty feed bags - provides padding, is completely free, and if an egg breaks in the nest or it otherwise gets soiled, you can pick it all up and toss it without feeling bad about it. That should take care of ants, if it's just the nests they're going for.

Flies, I use disposable fly traps. They smell terrible but work well.

Smell is generally an issue with lack of proper ventilation, too many birds for too little space, too little bedding, moisture, lack of poop management, or some combo of above. You'd really need to post more specifics to get help, including measurements/photos of your coop, your litter type, climate, and number of birds ("around 20" could be 18, or it could be 25, makes a difference!)

Ditto Dat^^^.
I have pieces of vinyl that fit tight into bottom of nests, then a thick flake of straw for bedding. Makes it easy to lift the whole mess out of the nest, I have an extra piece of vinyl to reline and then bed the nest.

@Ursuline Chick Say what?
@aart. I am so sorry, I know that didn't make any sense. A few weeks ago I was so sick, with fever so high, I actually threw something across the room at someone who was not there. :lau
I think I may be getting a relapse. I see my Doctor on Thursday. Wish me luck.

@aart. I am so sorry, I know that didn't make any sense. A few weeks ago I was so sick, with fever so high, I actually threw something across the room at someone who was not there. :lau
I think I may be getting a relapse. I see my Doctor on Thursday. Wish me luck.
Oh dear! Hopefully you get some answers and feel better soon!!

Back
Top Bottom