Getting rid of smell and bugs in chicken coop

Kenzie22

Chirping
Oct 2, 2021
What can I use IN MY CHICKEN COOP (safe for chickens) that will help with the smells and keep the flies and ants down? And where can I get it?

There's really no magic potion to eliminate odors and bugs.

Odors depend on how you manage the manure, population density, and ventilation.
We'd need more info on...
your flock size(numbers, ages, genders),
your coop(size in feet by feet with pics),
bedding and manure removal practices.

Flies can be reduced by good manure management.
Ants might depend on what kind and where you are finding them.

Would also help to know.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1690144398825.png

I am finding ants in the nest boxes. It seems as though a couple of my hens try to sit on the eggs and then end up cracking some so I don't know how to keep it dry in there.

about 20 chickens in total, one rooster
not exactly sure how big my coop is
stays very dry in my coop and dusty whether it rains outside or not

Thank you!

I am finding ants in the nest boxes. It seems as though a couple of my hens try to sit on the eggs and then end up cracking some so I don't know how to keep it dry in there.

Thank you!
I find pooh color also gives a few selections to choose from as well.

Thank you!
Do you use shavings or anything? Take the cracked eggs and yolk and everything out of there immediately. Unless you don’t use bedding and it’s hard to get the eggs out?

Sweet PDZ can help in the coop, and there are enzyme treatments that help, but not cure, smells and flies in the run. Those are rather pricey.

Generally, I use fly paper in the run, although since the entire thing has been covered, I find flies to be much less of an issue.

I do not get ants, either because there's nothing in there for them, or because the chickens make short work of them.

Collecting eggs morning and evening can help reduce breakage.

Thank you!
Just a thought, when we built our coop, I insisted on getting some vinyl and putting it on the floor before we made nesting boxes and the total flooring. I wanted to be able to wipe up anytime. If I needed to change bedding I could clean very well with that. We put planking boards on the bottom so its very sturdy and vinyl over that. If you wanted perhaps you could get a little vinyl and line your nesting boxes with it so it was really easy to clean and dry. That way you could easily clean up any broken eggs with some light vinegar water. You didn't say what the bottom of your boxes or flooring is, so this may be a unnecessary comment.

Do you use shavings or anything? Take the cracked eggs and yolk and everything out of there immediately. Unless you don’t use bedding and it’s hard to get the eggs out?
Ditto Dat^^^.
I have pieces of vinyl that fit tight into bottom of nests, then a thick flake of straw for bedding. Makes it easy to lift the whole mess out of the nest, I have an extra piece of vinyl to reline and then bed the nest.

I find pooh color also gives a few selections to choose from as well.
@Ursuline Chick Say what?

Ditto Dat^^^.
I have pieces of vinyl that fit tight into bottom of nests, then a thick flake of straw for bedding. Makes it easy to lift the whole mess out of the nest, I have an extra piece of vinyl to reline and then bed the nest.

@Ursuline Chick Say what?
Yeah I had vinyl in my coop too. Made it very easy.

Back
Top Bottom