the smell

My chickens spend a lot of time scratching for bugs so they seldom go in their run during the day except to lay eggs. It stays clean year round by scattering a layer of pine shavings down on top of whats already there ( the run has a dirt floor) I clean the raised coop weekly (linoleum flooring )

I live in E. WA it is very dry here. I only get mucky pens in mud season when the snow melts in March.
coopru.PNG

I do use dresser drawers to catch droppings.

May want to consider "deep litter" ... To help with the muck, pellet bedding helps absorb moister, breaks down to sawdust which chickens work into the ground. Keep adding shavings & PDZ helps too. Poop board under their roost with PDZ in helps alot, scoop out the poop daily ... They poop alot at night on the roost.

You may also want to try fermenting their feed ... Personally aside from the "healthy" aspect, I notice their poop is firmer and not so stinky but nothing helps the cecal poop. Have been doing it for few years, some say "it's work" but I like the no flies, no stink and easy poop pick up when needed. You can do grain and/or feed

fermenting chicken feed

Back
Top Bottom