Best run floor in a rainy area

TONIMFCC

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2021
Hi everybody. I recently moved to an area that gets a lot of rain ( about 41 in a year on average). In my previous home we barely got any rain so I'm at a loss as to what to do for the floor of my chicken run. At my old house I used sand, but I'm finding here the sand never dries out. And as you can imagine, the smell is terrible with constant wet ground. I've read about wood shavings, but it seems like a lot of people say those will mold. Any brilliant people with a great idea on how to help my flock have a dryer chicken run that won't smell so bad? Thanks!!

Hi everybody. I recently moved to an area that gets a lot of rain ( about 41 in a year on average). In my previous home we barely got any rain so I'm at a loss as to what to do for the floor of my chicken run. At my old house I used sand, but I'm finding here the sand never dries out. And as you can imagine, the smell is terrible with constant wet ground. I've read about wood shavings, but it seems like a lot of people say those will mold. Any brilliant people with a great idea on how to help my flock have a dryer chicken run that won't smell so bad? Thanks!!
Hi, it rains a lot here in the hills of Wales in UK, is your run covered above as well as sides with chicken wire? If so, you could consider getting clear tarpaulin to put over the top, some perches off the ground, also some turf. It's what we've done and the girls are happy

You could put in a French drain. Dig a trench alongside the run, putting the soil in the run in order to raise it. Fill the trench with large gravel. The rain will tend to run off the run because it is raised. Water seeks the least resistance and the trench will collect the water.

In addition, you could put an inch of sand in the run before covering with soil to aid in moving the water.

A roof or lots of arborist wood chips and organic material. Wood chips in general will help loosen the soil and aerate it so water can penetrate better. If you keep accumulating the organic base you shouldn't have issues with any water pooling in the run as it will be elevated compared to the surrounding terrain. In a year, you can start harvesting the bottom for gardening purposes.

Is the run gathering puddles of rain water?
Some pics of your run might help.

I have about the same amount of annual rainfall as you. Deep litter would be my general recommendation, but that only works well if drainage at the site is good. If you have drainage issues you'll need to address that first.

I'm also in Wales (North) - it rains a lot here (especially this year). I have a roof over my run with gutters both sides, however I did put down lots of wood chip. Doesn't smell and apart from raking back into place occassionally needs very little maintenance. If I didn't have a roof I may worry about it going mouldy though.

1707920775305.png

Back
Top Bottom