run maintenance

mzimmers

Chirping
Apr 15, 2019
Central Coast, CA
Hi all -

My run is in need of some serious soil maintenance. It's been in use for about 6 years, and has served us well until last month's heavy rains made it too muddy (IMO) for healthy, happy chickens.

The area is about 160 square feet (4 x 40). I'm thinking of adding a bunch of sand and rototilling it in, then sprinkling some lime over the top. A few questions:
  1. is there anything besides sand I should consider adding to the soil before rototilling?
  2. how much sand would you recommend for a run of this size?
  3. how much lime should I add after the rototill?
Thanks for any input...

mz

The best absorbent is rough mulch including small branches that allows oxygen into the bed. If you are on clay then you may well need drainage.

After that it is down to climate and what is easily/cheaply available in one's locale.

Sand works in climates that are hot and breezy. Other than that you have a risk of a very heavy smelly mess to get rid of.

I started with available "trailered" mulch on the ground then new shavings; plus grass, leaves, needles, somebodies old garden, etc.. I do a massive collect every fall and stuff it in the run under the coop. It is my flock's annual vacation.

Last edited:
We had a soggy run. Steps we took:

1. Roof over it all now, so heavy rains impact about 2’ into the run(10’ deep, 50’ wide), partly bc we have not added any gutters and roof is metal. But, it took us a few years to roof it all. First, we built an elevated coop (it’s never wet!), roofed traditionally with plywood, tar paper, shingles. Then extended this a few feet over the door on one side, and a few feet the other side, where there is a large vent.

2. We contacted a friend that worked in a manufacturing place. He brought over about 1/2 ton of sawdust in about 6-7 bags. We then contacted a tree service and requested wood mulch type stuff, he brought a truck load (we paid a fee for gas, time, etc). All this spread out and the chickens seemed like they were eye level with us (not really, but it was a significant height). it pretty quickly compressed down with weather and rain. But the soggy run was much much better after those additions.

3. In winter, we sometimes spread out some straw bc they don’t like walking in a lot of snow- it’s scary. But, straw isn’t an answer for a soggy run, it gets moldy and it gets slippery.

4. We added an underground drain pipe where we have the barn gutter directed towards. Some of the problem was the ground was flat, and all the water from the roof pooled back there in heavy rains. Now the majority flows through the drain pipe to the farm field behind, where there is a lower area.

I’ve seen some people in flat areas that can flood temporarily, build up the base dirt, so the run area is always above water level.

Some people, on any kind of slope, even a shallow slope, can redirect water away from the run area. You can dig a ditch or build a low berm.

Good luck

Thanks for the replies, guys. I can easily generate all the mulch I need -- I live on land where oak trees grow like weeds and I have a chipper/shredder. I live on the central California coast, so it's never hot, but almost always breezy. Maybe if I generate a bunch of mulch, bring in a yard of sand and get someone to till it all in?

And yes, I think a roof might be in order. I can get a bunch of those fiberglass panels from Home Despot and figure out a way to attach them.

There is a reason that paved roads are higher along the middle. This is so the rain moves off the road. Keep adding matter to your run to raise it above the surrounding area. Also, I would dig a trench along one side and fill it with large gravel. This is a nice place for iris or other water loving flowers. The water will move off the run and into the trench.

If you have clay, do not add sand. It only makes it worse. What you need with clay is organic matter, which you can add by continually putting mulch in your run, or planting deep rooted plants (which doesn't work well in a chicken run).

There is a reason that paved roads are higher along the middle. This is so the rain moves off the road. Keep adding matter to your run to raise it above the surrounding area. Also, I would dig a trench along one side and fill it with large gravel. This is a nice place for iris or other water loving flowers. The water will move off the run and into the trench.

If you have clay, do not add sand. It only makes it worse. What you need with clay is organic matter, which you can add by continually putting mulch in your run, or planting deep rooted plants (which doesn't work well in a chicken run).
That's good to know about not using sand. When I add my mulch, should I have someone till it in, or is it good enough to just put it on top?

And...I'd still like some feedback about lime.

Thanks!

That's good to know about not using sand. When I add my mulch, should I have someone till it in, or is it good enough to just put it on top?

And...I'd still like some feedback about lime.

Thanks!
I’m not sure about your girls, but mine do one heck of a good job spreading hay out inside their run. That goes for the pine shavings in the hen house too! It makes their day to be rummaging through anything new. I don’t use lime, rather a product the feed store recommends. I don’t recall what it is, but it is a safe odor control used for livestock. It keeps the smell down in the summer time, winter time it isn’t quite as necessary. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom