Is my musty old shed suitable for my beloved flock?

basel1

Hatching
Sep 4, 2023
Hey everyone, I have a big shed that of six hens and one rooster. we plan to add around four more chicks to the group. We would use this shed as their coops, giving them a large ammount of space to eat, drink, relax, and lay eggs. The only problem about the shed is its horrible smell. It has a very musty smell that has been around since we moved in last year, and I dont know if this would be dangerous to our beloved flock. For comparison, it smells like a musty unfinished basement. I do not see any visible ventilation in it. It certainly needs a touch up but once it it finished I am certain it will make a great home for them. I will provide images as well to show you the ventilation and such. My question is this: Is my shed safe for my chickens and if it is not how can I make it so it is? How do I get rid of this odor?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 86
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    553.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 20
It looks like it is sealed up pretty tight.

Things I recommend...
Adding windows for light and ventilation
Adding very large vents above the door and on the opposite wall for ventilation year round
even adding windows in the doors would help.

Does moisture seep in around the bottom?

Painting the inside with a good quality light colored paint once moisture is ruled out will seal the wood and brighten it up.

It looks like it is sealed up pretty tight.

Things I recommend...
Adding windows for light and ventilation
Adding very large vents above the door and on the opposite wall for ventilation year round
even adding windows in the doors would help.

Does moisture seep in around the bottom?

Painting the inside with a good quality light colored paint once moisture is ruled out will seal the wood and brighten it up.
How much would it cost to get all that done?

With no roof overhang I wonder if rain water has saturated the bottoms of the walls and they are rotting. It looks like the ground outside is right up against the bottoms of walls. That could account for the smell and may be a detriment to using for animals. Not sure if the cause of the smell is detrimental to your birds, especially after modifying building to have adequate ventilation, but I doubt it.

Good roof overhangs is important for any building, but especially animal housing so you can have open windows without rain intrusion. This building needs much attention before housing animals. First thing I would do is reroof and extend the rafters by sistering roof tails to extend 12-18" out to improve run off and create soffit vents. Would also add fly rafters on gable ends to protect gable vents. Not sure what it would cost, depends on how much you are willing to do, if you have any building skills, and what your financial resources are.
Might also depend on your climate.

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @basel1
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1694955103578.png

Aart posted sound advice above.

While re-roofing is expensive it's an investment in the longevity of the structure no matter how it's used.
It is well worth it.

I see a missing siding piece in the second picture. That exposed board looks to have been exposed for quite some time. It's quite possible moisture has gotten behind the vinyl siding causing hidden rot.

Getting several estimates is free and can help you find things you may not see.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom