Sefi's Shoop Progress

More poop board progress. Got the wire up on the dividing wall. And found a use for the self adhesive linoleum floor tiles that we decided not to use in favor of a solid sheet of linoleum on the floor.

View attachment 3715394

View attachment 3715398

At least if I give up on chickens at some point in the future, the poop board might make a good work bench....after a thorough scrubbing of course.

Someone else started laying, got this nice minty green egg when I checked the nest box this morning. Either the Olive Egger or the Green Queen. Next to the egg from the white crested black polish, who's been steadily laying a medium egg every other day since she started last week.

View attachment 3715432
Great thread. Can't wait to see it finished! Looks awesome. Good job.

Ramps finished.

1704323433089.png

1704323414603.png

Dad made a handy dandy jig to place the....treads? on the ramps evenly.

1704323500784.png

The poop board is indeed a handy dandy work bench, and the nest boxes storage for misc tools. The shed will be useful if I stop keeping chickens!! I'll be interested to see if the chickens will actually use the nest box. I might put a milk crate on its side on the floor just in case too.

The 2x2 wedged where the roost will eventually go is not the permanent roost. That'll be a 2x4 with the long side face up. The 2x2 was a rejected poop board front lip. We went with a 2x4 screwed to the front of the board. More support for chickens that'll walk along it until they find their spot on the roost.

1704323583612.png

1704323598150.png

Need to cover the outside of the window with hardware cloth, Dad wants to run the electric to the shed (a light and receptacle in each divided half plus a receptacle on the outside of the shed). If the electric gets in successfully then the exhaust fan needs to go in the gable over the window.

I need to get to TSC to get horse stall pellets for the floor and PDZ for the poop board. Work continues to conspire against me tho by keeping me late and then I have to go straight home to let the dogs out and feed them.

Kinda have a deadline too, we are supposed to maybe or maybe not get walloped with snow this weekend.

Not much progress lately. The weather has been pretty much as crappy as January can be around here.

Dad got the electric finished and temporarily hooked up to the house supply.

IMG_4998.jpeg

I got bedding supplies in. Hopefully I grabbed enough bags of the horse stall pellets to make them deep enough on the floor.

I put one bag of PDZ on the poop board and I’m thinking I need to get some sand to mix with it. I’d like it to be a bit deeper.

IMG_4994.jpeg

Lastly I moved all the tools stored in the nest boxes out and cut the green fake turf door mat I got super cheap off of Amazon into smaller squares to fit. We found some golf balls mixed into the topsoil we had brought in (I have no clue and don’t want to know) so I saved them and they’re going to be our fake eggs!

I can’t decide if I want to put dividers in and/or some kind of curtain over the front.

IMG_4995.jpeg

I can’t decide if I want to put dividers in and/or some kind of curtain over the front.
What they need is a front lip(4-6") or eggs will get kicked right out of there.

I put one bag of PDZ on the poop board and I’m thinking I need to get some sand to mix with it. I’d like it to be a bit deeper.
Deep and they'll just dust bathe in it and spread it all over.
I keep mine less than 1/4" deep and sift it all every day.
Some will occasionally still try to bathe in it.
Here's some posts about mine, they're kind of old, but changes are noted.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-111#post-13179595
Updates:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048

What they need is a front lip(4-6") or eggs will get kicked right out of there.
Hmm...there is a 2" lip, some of which is filled by the turf squares. Maybe I'll find another 2x2 and tack it down on the front edge of the box. Thanks for the heads up!

Deep and they'll just dust bathe in it and spread it all over.
I keep mine less than 1/4" deep and sift it all every day.
Some will occasionally still try to bathe in it.
Here's some posts about mine, they're kind of old, but changes are noted.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-111#post-13179595
Updates:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048

I'd say its just barely 1/4" deep at the moment.

Extra lip added. Total is about 3 inches or so.

1705101229772.png

And today was move in day.

1705101268047.png

There was some confusion over where to roost. I stuck around and watched for a bit, they all started to huddle up on the ramp so I placed them on the roost.

1705101336597.png

1705101354320.png

Food and water are inside only for this weekend, as I'll keep them in the coop to get them re-homed to the coop for 2-3 days.

It rained last night so I had the window closed. Humidity in the coop stayed lower than ambient in the run. We are still planning to install the exhaust fan in the gable, probably in the spring.

IMG_5021.png

Back
Top Bottom