Sefi's Shoop Progress

Pics

Sefirothe

On A Clucking Adventure
Premium Feather Member
Feb 1, 2023
Scranton, PA
I've always wanted chickens. I enjoyed helping care for the flock at the one stable I boarded my horse at when I was younger and a small flock my uncle had on his hobby farm.

Finally being in a place to have my own little flock, I started researching and got 7 day old chicks this past May. (One turned out to be a cockerel and had to be rehomed as I can't have roosters here). They were brooded in my basement and as they started getting bigger, I put together a temporary grow out coop, knowing I'd need to build something permanent.

1698790419285.png

Our house is circled on the side and rear by a steep embankment that limits the usable space on our lot. So pretty much the only room I could use was behind our house. My parents own the lot to the other side of us and originally didn't have a problem with me putting a coop there, so plans were to build the coop on our lot and the run going over to their lot.

First step was to clear space. Some junk, tree stumps and a half dead tree needed to go. I got the stumps ground down first, then started relocating scrap and other junk.

1698790330043.png

Next the tree trimmers had to come. It took a while to arrange that because only one local company that we've used before has the equipment to handle taking down the trees we wanted gone. Not much room to maneuver between the house and the embankment. Two trees needed to be cut down to clear to make room for the chicken coop and two trees plus a limb off off a massive oak that were hanging over our house's roof (if we were having them out we were getting everything done in one shot). Between their busy schedule and crazy weather making the ground too soft for them to work at our house and giving them more work at other places....most of the summer went by...

This was also about when Dad started to push back on building on my parent's lot too. Since my brother had two storage sheds already there, I guess he felt like us kids were starting to take up too much space. We were also already so far behind schedule, I mostly scrapped the plans to build everything from scratch. I found a company that builds storage sheds that had a coop package they could add to a storage shed. The price was not much more than it would cost to build on our own plus they were running a free delivery special and I hoped it would help us catch back up. I knew we would have to add tweaks like more ventilation and a better roost, but that would be easily doable. So I put in an order for a shoop!

This leaning tree and the pine tree still needed to go to make room for the coop. Finally the tree trimmer company had time for us and the ground was dry enough to support their crane:
1698790971311.png
1698791075948.png
1698791194687.png

They got everything we needed cut down and left us a nice big pile of oak chips for the future chicken run.

1698791255686.png
1698791274702.png

The next step was to level where the coop and run were supposed to go. Luckily my retired contractor father still has his bulldozer and was eventually convinced to fire it up and use it. We had to get a couple triaxle loads of fill to make enough flat ground for a usable location for the coop and run. It would have been back breaking to try to do it by shovel, muscle and sweat. The slogan, "Nothing Runs Like a Deere" is pretty apt, my dad bought that bulldozer brand new in 1975. It only blew two ancient hydraulic lines to the backhoe that were pretty easy to fix according to Dad, once he was able to figure out which ones blew and which to replace. But that still set us behind another two weeks.

1698791479249.png

Finally the spot was leveled. After a slight delay from the shed company (we were at the very limit of their delivery range, so they tried to make the delivery to us as efficient for them as possible since we weren't contributing anything to their gas bill) the shoop finally landed!

1698792495145.png
1698793036862.png
1698793072539.png

To be continued....

So first things first, the mostly useless roost bars were pulled out, and the interior blown out of all the sawdust. I'll repurpose the wood from the provided roost bars as a ramp to the nest boxes that are really placed too high. I wish I'd have asked to have them lowered. I picked up some grey exterior grade latex paint from the "Oops" pile at Lowes, got some left over paint brushes and rollers from my dad and started painting the interior.

1698795004169.png

1698794498224.png

Lets just say I HATE painting with paint brushes and rollers on non sheathed walls. Painting around the wall and roof studs SUCKED.

1698794635343.png

1698794725358.png

I got this far after three days of work a couple hours a day and threw in the paint brush. You cant see it but there was still soooo much left, the door, the wall the door was in, all the edges where the paint roller couldnt reach next to the studs.

I did some research on paint guns and settled on the cheapest Graco airless system. I don't have an air compressor (well Dad does have one but its old and massive and not really portable to where the shed is) and needed something that would handle the thick latex paint without thinning preferably. Plus we have plans to powerwash and re-stain/seal our wooden deck next year so this would speed that process up too.

1698795175477.png
1698795436693.png

And hey! Another use for left over feed bags. Blocking paint over spray from going where you dont want it to go!

I swear it was worth the investment JUST for this shed. I finished the bits left of the first coat in no time flat. It took longer to wait for the first coat to dry than to apply the second coat.

1698795531022.png

1698795542992.png

There was a small rain storm that happened just as I was finishing up and cleaning up. I didnt get the door closed in time, so rain fell on the fresh paint on the floor near the door. I have vinyl flooring to be put down on the floor tho so its not a huge deal.

And this brings us to current.

We have a load of pressure treated lumber bought to build the run and the dividing wall that will go in the shoop to make it half chicken coop half storage shed.

Still to be done:

• Install vinyl flooring.
  • I have a large exhaust fan to be installed in the gable over the window.
  • Build a better roost and add a poop board. Poop board will be about on the same level as the built in nest boxes. So the roost will be above that, hopefully the chooks will use the roost and not the nest boxes to sleep. Will probably also need to build a ramp to the roost as well. Possibly may build a brooder/separation pen under the poop board at some future date.
  • Build dividing wall inside shoop.
  • Reframe/reconfigure the pop door to better hold in litter and fit the Run Chicken door I bought.
  • Dig a trench and bury hardware cloth on the side of the shoop that the run will attach to.
  • Dig a trench to run electric to the shoop. Wire shed for electric.
  • Put the last bit of backfill in next to the coop to allow for walking around the run for maintenance. Currently the 8' x 12' run would go pretty much right up to the edge of the embankment. Dad no longer wants the run to cross over on to his lot so it has to go on the opposite side where sadly there's less room to build a large run.
  • Build run frame, attach hardware cloth, lay hardware cloth apron and build a roof over the run.
  • Move chooks into their new home. Hopefully we can get that done before the first snow falls!!

I enjoyed reading your interesting story; thank you for sharing! What breed of chickens do you have?
I like variety, so one each of:
White crested black polish
Silver laced wyandotte
Olive egger
Green queen
Barnevelder
Black sumatra

There was a buff laced polish too, but she turned out to be a he. When he started crowing, a friend of the family with a bunch of silkies offered to give him a home.

The Barnevelder is my favorite. She's pretty laid back, lowest on the pecking order and has a very deep bass voice.

And I'm already looking at chicks for next spring! Its gonna depend on how big we can make the run as to how many more I can add.

1698875457930.png

1698875566434.png

1698875526349.png

1698875675586.png

Last edited:
Yesterday after work, I started staining some of the lumber for the run. I got the 4x6's and 4x4's for the bottom of the run done. And maybe about 1/3 of the 2x4's that we bought. Pretty sure we'll have to make another supply run for more 2x4's as well as the run roofing material.

This morning, now that the stain was mostly dry I stacked things up out of the way of my working area. I just started to set up to start staining more 2x4's when Dad came over and decided he wanted to start working on the run.

He fired up the bulldozer and started to grade the ground where the run will go down hill away from the shoop. He'll still need to move more of the pile of dirt in the pic below over to create more level ground to fit the run. We are planning on a 8'x12' walk in run.

1699135533596.png

Once Dad got some of the ground closest to the coop graded, we started digging the trench to bury hardware cloth at the bottom of the shoop along the side where the run will attach.

I have nothing but admiration for anyone who buries their hardware cloth around their entire run. The remaining three walls for mine will have the apron on top of the ground. Digging thru modified is ZERO fun. Even with an auger to help loosen it up first.

1699136105884.png

1699135941323.png

I also started digging the trench to run power to the shed. Found the cap for the old septic tank for the sump was nowhere near where Dad remembered it it was. Oops. Dug as far as wouldn't be obliterated by the bulldozer traveling back and forth as well as as far as my back/shoulders/arms were going to let me.

1699136178477.png

Finally, attached hardware cloth to removable boards on the shoop. Now nothing's gonna dig in and no chooks are gonna get stuck under the shoop!

1699136413717.png

Tomorrow will probably be back to staining.

Finished staining the lumber we have so far today. We'll still need to get some more 2x4's as well as roofing for the run.

I dislike both painting and staining. I could never be a painter. Nope. Those freeloaders in the background had better choke out at least a couple eggs before winter to show their appreciation! :D

1699217756827.png

Dad has been busy while I've been at work. He's got the base and two corner posts done.
1699393854090.png

We went and got hopefully the last of the lumber today. Tomorrow I'll be back to staining after work.

Got a bit more done on the run framing. Hoping for some big progress this weekend, if the weather cooperates.

The staining feels like its never ending. Also, still not a single egg in thanks.

I'm also wishing I went with the brown paint scheme for the shed rather than the black/grey. Ah well. Hindsight and all that.

1699569488024.png

Back
Top Bottom