Getting rid of Sparrows

chrisarvor

Songster
9 Years
Feb 7, 2010
bulgaria
anybody come up with an idea to stop the bloody Sparrows going into my aviaries/coups
i have dvds,wind chimes dvds with eyse painted on them etc but no good i used one of those plastic owls back in the uK but that did not work
I know i could make the mesh smaller but there must be something

We get a few in ours occasionally but it doesn't seem to be a big problem.

I have a bird feeder on the other side of my house, a good 50 yards away from the coop. They seem to be more attracted to that . Maybe a separate feeder would help if you're willing. Your mileage may vary, I have no idea whether my bird feeder and the lack of sparrows in the coop are related at all!

If you find a way I can't wait to hear it. I chase some out of my coops every day. I swear they can get in through cracks in the paint.

Ok i started another thread as i am having issues with Starlings - but there are sparrows in there as well - i have heard everything from shoot them - go in and make noise so they think it is an uncomfortable unsafe place - to glue traps with seed in the middle - then kill them - yikes - and this

http://www.sparrowtraps.net/

Which i just ordered so we will see!!!!
I dont mind the sparrows its the starlings dirty loud things !

I had a terrible sparrow problem too! I did various things to my coop to keep them out (see near the end of my byc page-keeping wild birds out of my coop), but ultimately, the most important thing that kept them out of the coop was removing the chicken feed. I never see them in the coop now. I know that's not always an option for everyone. Of course that didn't stop the sparrows from eating all my chicken food outside of the coop, so I built a treadle feeder (link to plans in my sig). The sparrows still ravage my garden, but I don't have as many as before and my chicken feed expenses have been dramatically reduced. Good luck!

I actually logged on today to post this very question. Let me know how the sparrow trap works. I was also thinking of getting a mist net and stretching it along the favorite flight paths. I'm not sure how much they cost, I'm going to look into that now. The only drawback of that is that the birds must be removed individually from the net and they can get pretty tangled, meaning time consuming to remove.

I just searched for mist nets and the cheapest one I found was $60. If the trap works it is definitely more convenient than setting up a mist net, especially in tight spaces.

Quote:
Sure will - was 5 bucks off - and they shipped same day i placed the order - email and a call - GREAT cust service lol all to trap and rid myself of STARLINGS!

Back
Top Bottom