Getting some chicks on thursday!

Congrats
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Thanks, and will do! If they are mix breds (im pretty sure they are) I will need help trying to figure out what breeds they are...

And thank you!

I haveta admit.. Although I did start with chickens first then added ducks in the chickens are where my heart really is! I LOVE my ducks. Think they're awesome and I love to watch them swim and play but theres something about my chickens I like better (besides wayy less of a mess!) I have 2 duck coops(5 ducks), soon to be 1 coop(only gonna keep 3 ducks) and 3 chicken coops(23 chickens of various ages) (too many preditors to not have hot wired fort knox coops!)

My advice is to find a couple more. Honestly raising 6 is almost the same as raising 2. Its when you get over about 10 I think and have multipe coops where it puts more work on. Here's my reasoning: 1-You end up liking chickens so much you want more then just the two. Its harder to get more and add them to your flock later and newcomers aren't usually accepted well. 2- Something happens to one of your precious little chicks and you only have one. Poor lonely chicken so you decide to get another (or two more). Thats gonna put more stress on your existing chicken and stress also on the new ones coming in. 3- As said above. COCKERELS. One or both end up boys. You would have to either rehome them both or get so many hens for those 2 boys. Or if only 1 is a boy then if you wanted to get chicks for more hens he'd probably overbreed her in the 4-6 months it would take you to grow out chicks! Lol these are my reasons(excuses..?) for MORE! I always recommend getting at least 3 though(LOL dont worry I'm not saying go out and get 10! hah although I started with 7..). Unfortunately I now have the need to FILL my incubator when I set it so I never have small batches of chicks together. GOOD LUCK!! Hope you love chickens as much as you love your ducks!!
smile.png

Quote:
Thank you!

I didnt really want to get more then two, but I probably should get three.... I already have a AWESOME idea to intraduce the two sets of chicks. In the coop I will put wire up so the chicks can see eachother and get used to eachother, then, after a week, let them all together (only after the youngerones are feathered out and tough) not sure what im gonna do with the ducklings lol. Keep them with bigger chicks, or younger, still thinking about that! Thanks again for such awesome advice everyone!

Back
Top Bottom