Getting some new birds - couple of questions

imthedude

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
CO
Hi all.

Gonna pick up 3 Delawares tomorrow - 2 pullets and 1 cockerel that are all 13 or 14 weeks old. Our feeders co-op has some RIR that are 3 or 4 weeks old, and I'm also thinking about getting two or three of those as well. Since this will be new turf for all of the birds, any problem with throwing the younger ones in with the older ones?

I've had to mix those ages in a couple of times and had no problem. I've even had the older ones get motherly with the young ones at times.

It should be fine as long as they have plenty of space. The younger ones will be at the bottom of the pecking order & it could be a little rough at first. After a week or so though there should be no problem.

Lots of problems.

1. Please read this thread-- https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12751

. Putting 14 week olds in with 4 week olds, will likely result in the younger ones getting beat on pretty badly, possibly to the point of severe injury or death. I've heard of it working sometimes with very mellow breeds like silkies and I don't know much of anything about Deleware's, but combining these two groups before the younger ones catch up size wise seems like a very bad idea to me.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd be careful with the little ones too. Have had little ones escape from the grow-out pen into the older hen's pen and get really beaten up (scalped).

Beth

You are talking 1 month old birds with 3 month old birds - most people suggest you wait until they are similar size - But honestly - if they have plenty of room to run away & you are starting them all together ( all birds are new to you ) then there isnt a pecking order yet that is going to be disrupted.

What I mean is - none of them is the 'head hen' at this point in time (who would be seriously pi$$ed off if new chicks were introduced) - they are more likely to accept the smaller birds -

Now - that said - the smaller birds will need room to get away from the larger ones & they will be picked on - but if they are allowed room to keep clear of the older birds they should be fine.

The only exception would be polish chickens or others with sight issues. If the chicks can't see the older hens coming they will be in trouble.

Last edited:
Oh - I forgot to second the opinion of keeping them under observation too - The mites are easy enough to see & treat (usually) but the respiratory issues can sneak up on a bird.

I'm confused....quarantine right?
hide.gif
Isn't that a big thing? Keep them spearate for like a month so no one gets sick???

thanks all for the responses. i think i'll pass on the RIR for now and just get the dels. i can keep them quarantined more easily and not have to worry too much about them assaulting the smaller birds.

Back
Top Bottom