Getting some new hens. what breed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    i have 5 rescude battery hens a light susex a black orpinton a ancona bantam and a cream legbar and a cross bred cockerel, i would like to by a breed of hen that will lay quite alot of eggs and go broody any one know what type i should get and will a ancona bantam go broody or not?

2. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Dont know about bantams, but I have some orpingtons that are supposedly known for broodiness from what I've read...have yet to have the first one go broody out of 4 hens. Looking forward to seeing what the next year brings--have 3 more BO pullets about to come of age. I do love the breed though. They never let me down on egg-laying throughout the year, with the exception of moulting season.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Black Australorps are great layers. As are Delaware. Broodiness in MY flock has been successfully demonstrated by a BA, several Orpingtons (Buff and Blue), a bantam dark Brahma, a blue-laced Wyandotte, two bantam Easter Eggers, and two Sebrights (one Golden and one Silver - those girls really surprised me!)

4. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Quote:I had 2 orpingtons and one was ill althrough laying season she eventually fell into a bog but she got her self our then 3 days later she gave up and died and the othe went broody for a wekk then stopped shes only layed 30 eggs this yearr

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by