Getting started...need advice on plantings

OK so I have to admit I have no idea how to bait a snapping turtle...can you fill me in? How do you make sure you got em all? Thanks for the help!
I have no idea just from reading here where posters have had to deal with them, some kind of large hook with meat on it but I'll try to find some info. and I guess you just keep setting the hook till none take the bait. if you have a swamp close by and don't want to eat them that maybe the place to relocate them too.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=How+to...our+pond+of+snapping+turtles&sc=1-40&sp=-1&sk=

Last edited:
Thanks I have been looking too as the internet is nothing if not a wealth of knowledge! I wonder if there is a way to get rid of the snake I know that lives there!
I guess capturing it some how?? since your in Va it could be poisonous but it maybe harmless too. look up the difference because we like our snakes they keep down the rodent pop and when you have feed sitting out your going to have rodents. Even when putting it up over night. Blk snakes are extremely helpful in keeping the copperhead snakes in check.

I understand that and I am with you...unfortunately the wife is not of the same mind! I just ordered a snake trap and I will see what we get. If it is a non-poisonous snake I may just let it go. Is there any problem with snakes in the pond with the ducks/geese?

I understand that and I am with you...unfortunately the wife is not of the same mind! I just ordered a snake trap and I will see what we get. If it is a non-poisonous snake I may just let it go. Is there any problem with snakes in the pond with the ducks/geese?
Only if poisonous but saying that my Muscovy's have eaten copper heads, first time I saw them do it I about had the big one ran inside called the vet called the nature center no one could tell me for sure what would happen, nothing happened she just went about her business. LOL But Plum Tuckered just lost a Muscovy duck to a snake bite last week. I'm thinking you'll have an easier time getting rid of the turtles. Plus once she sees a big rat or mice coming out in daylight she'll feel better about the snakes, the non poisonous ones anyway.

Saw on facebook they were using those mesh minnow traps & put them beside fence of chick coop or fence row. And ole snake crawls in and can't get out and when I get a chance I' m goinng to try it

Saw on facebook they were using those mesh minnow traps & put them beside fence of chick coop or fence row. And ole snake crawls in and can't get out and when I get a chance I' m goinng to try it
Interesting, I guess I watched to much Crocodile Hunter when he was alive because I just pick them up and carry them down the driveway when I have chicks and ducklings around, I do let my dh take care of the poisonous ones though. But I will say this we have some big ole black snakes some 6' and Haven't seen a copper head in a few years now. This year was the first time I ever had any problems with them, a blk snake had hold of one of my day old ducklings, thank goodness I saw it and got the duckling unwrapped, the snake did Not get carried down the drive way that time, but the duckling did live, thank goodness.
smile.png

Lots going on here, but some free thoughts and worth exactly the price you pay
smile.png

Willow are cheap and grow FAST: like baseball on steroids fast. Go buy a $20 tree from Lowe's and plant in the fall. Next year, take clippings, root in water and then acclimate slowly to soil and plant near the waters edge. If you like to fish, move them back some and if you like to fly fish, you're outta luck *lol*

Geese will eat your landscape. They are goats with wings. Anything being chewed too much needs a wire ring of protection. Partial list that mine have chewed or eaten, hydrangea bushes, fig trees, gerber daisies, hosta, all the lotus and water lilies, etc. Also, if you have a cement driveway or even gravel near the house, that is where they will sit and xxit.

Snappers move around. There is no "one time" I got him, it's over. They move from the swamp to your pond and on and back, etc.

Snakes -- Like Miss Lydia, I like my black rat (chicken?) snakes and I also get the occasional water snake. I can say that enough ducks and geese and I have not seen a water snake this year. Couple of small rat snakes in the back, but chipmunks are really bad. I'd rather have the snake, and I raise chicks inside till they have some size on them.

Hawks: if you have answers here, you win.

Good luck with the ducks! You will love them.

Back
Top Bottom