Getting started...need advice on plantings

Yea I saw a snake at the pond but haven't seen any turtles. Snakes just scare me...there I said it and I am not ashamed...much. Anyway I will catch this one to see what it is (I think a black banded water snake based on this website http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects/herpcons/herps_of_NC/snakes/snakes.html). I am in Virginia but only 4 miles from the NC border so I am sure it is around here too. I will let everyone know how the trap goes and what it turns out to be (if I catch it!)

Yea I saw a snake at the pond but haven't seen any turtles. Snakes just scare me...there I said it and I am not ashamed...much. Anyway I will catch this one to see what it is (I think a black banded water snake based on this website http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects/herpcons/herps_of_NC/snakes/snakes.html). I am in Virginia but only 4 miles from the NC border so I am sure it is around here too. I will let everyone know how the trap goes and what it turns out to be (if I catch it!)
I'm thinking your ducks will be dining on snakes once they get big enough. also frogs, lizards and anything else they can get in their mouths.

So back to the original question,,,anyone have any idea on plantings around a duck/goose pond? I am thinking maybe some milo, wild rice, lilies, uhh...anyone have any suggestions? Do your ducks eat ornamental grasses? Anything they leave alone? Would like to put some foliage around the pond to make it more attractive...any ideas? Thanks this is going to be so much fun!

So back to the original question,,,anyone have any idea on plantings around a duck/goose pond? I am thinking maybe some milo, wild rice, lilies, uhh...anyone have any suggestions? Do your ducks eat ornamental grasses? Anything they leave alone? Would like to put some foliage around the pond to make it more attractive...any ideas? Thanks this is going to be so much fun!
what about irises and cat tails? a friend gave me some water irises for my little pond that are over 5' tall now they bloom with yellow flowers in the spring and are so pretty, of course I had to take them out of my small pond and planted them in the drainage ditch that's over flow for our wet springs we have in certain times of the year. they nibble on them a little but mostly leave them alone.

Hey Miss Lydia thanks that is what I am talking about. What about cattails? I know I pass a swampy area that has a lot of them in it so I know they grow around here. Do you have any? I have heard they can get out of control. Anyone have any experience? Thanks again

Hey Miss Lydia thanks that is what I am talking about. What about cattails? I know I pass a swampy area that has a lot of them in it so I know they grow around here. Do you have any? I have heard they can get out of control. Anyone have any experience? Thanks again
I don't have any but If I was you I'd go on the web site "The Pond Guy" they have listed every plant and if invasive or not. I like cat tails they grow in the ditches around here but I've never seen any along our river. and no I don't have any, my pond is a 100gal stock tank with pond goldfish in it. I only have water lilies in it. they ate my other plants. Parrot feather mostly. I have bought water lettuce and other plants but they are too expensive to last only 1 season. Not sure if cat tail can get out of control but with your size pond it would take a long time for it to get out of hand and you could probably keep in in check pretty easy by just thinning.

True. I ain't gettin any younger though and would rather not create problems for myself you know
th.gif

True. I ain't gettin any younger though and would rather not create problems for myself you know
th.gif
Oh I understand completely, I wonder if day lilies would be a nice plant around the pond. we have what they call ditch day lilies that actually grow in water. I have some of them and they really do make nice clumps and bloom along time. the ducks don't mess with them at all.

Back
Top Bottom