Getting Started

KeptSane

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2021
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I had chickens growing up. I helped with day-to-day feeding, egg collecting, and coop clean-up. I however was never in the know about new chicks, incubating, etc. I just started incubating eggs and haven't had the best success.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I currently have 44 eggs in my incubator of a barnyard mix. I have incubated 2 clutches with a total of 44 eggs. I only had one hatch that passed on day 8 after hatch. Reason for passing unknown.

(3) What breeds do you have? Growing up we had Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, Silkie, and Bantam. My Barnyard mixes are Wyandotte, Easter Egger, from one neighbor. The others are Black Astralorpe, Barred Rock, Easter Eggers, Silkie, and Bantams. The parentage of each egg unknown but the eggs were free, fertile, and adjusted to the local climate.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I love chickens they have such great personalities. I want them for the benefit of insect control, eggs, and the occasional meat. They are also my easy gateway into raising game birds.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I am a homesteader who breeds dogs currently. I am just getting started so over the next couple of years I will be expanding to meat/gamebirds, rabbits, pigs, and getting my garden all put together.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I am a SAHM with 4 kids, currently 4 dogs, 4 cats, and big dreams of being self-sufficient.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I found BYC while searching google for help with my hatching research. I found I needed more specific help for my questions and wasn't getting far with all my books and google searches. I decided to join for more extensive help.

Hi. Welcome to BYC.
There are several hatching experts around here. I know that shipping, parental disease & poor nutrition, as well as age can cause low hatch rates.
Where did you get your eggs? What incubator are you using?
Good luck with your hatch!

When they hatch, never ask them why they cross the road. :old :lau
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Hi. Welcome to BYC.
There are several hatching experts around here. I know that shipping, parental disease & poor nutrition, as well as age can cause low hatch rates.
Where did you get your eggs? What incubator are you using?
Good luck with your hatch!
I started with a Hovabator 1502 and was manually turning them. From that group, I hatched 1 chick who passed. He was alone and I found out my kids, which I have 4 of, were overly handling and stressing him out. So, I am thinking he was overly stressed and that is why he passed. I did buy a forced air incubator that holds 48 eggs with an auto turner, digital Display, hygrometer etc. Picture attached. I did finally add a digital thermometor and hygrometer to this one and found that it was sitting at 92F and 10% higher humidity than the incubator was stating. So for this clutch I created a styrofoam case that still allowed for the fan to function. It is sitting at 98.5F and perfect humidity. IDK what I am going to get but we will see. Lockdown for this clutch is the 19th. As to where I got my eggs I got them from my neighbor who free ranges her chickens and ducks. She gave me 4 duck eggs and out of them all were fertile. I had 1 hatch but it needed assistance. It didn't zip and only peeped. He is currently a couple of days old. The other three after eggtopsy died during lockdown. I haven't been able to figure out exactly why. I am very new and trying my best. But the failure is getting to me. I have another incubator on the way and am hoping that this one will work better for me.

Attachments

• Incubator21.jpg
    Incubator21.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom