Getting Started

I would imagine that the incubator is at fault. I hate that for you. I hope your new incubator will work much better. Best of luck with your hatch!
Thank you I have the same feelings. I have made some tweaks to it and am hoping that solves the issue. I am just happy my hatching eggs were local and free. I would be really mad if I had paid the price for some of the hatching eggs on eBay. I would be super angry! lol

I started with a Hovabator 1502 and was manually turning them. From that group, I hatched 1 chick who passed. He was alone and I found out my kids, which I have 4 of, were overly handling and stressing him out. So, I am thinking he was overly stressed and that is why he passed. I did buy a forced air incubator that holds 48 eggs with an auto turner, digital Display, hygrometer etc. Picture attached. I did finally add a digital thermometor and hygrometer to this one and found that it was sitting at 92F and 10% higher humidity than the incubator was stating. So for this clutch I created a styrofoam case that still allowed for the fan to function. It is sitting at 98.5F and perfect humidity. IDK what I am going to get but we will see. Lockdown for this clutch is the 19th. As to where I got my eggs I got them from my neighbor who free ranges her chickens and ducks. She gave me 4 duck eggs and out of them all were fertile. I had 1 hatch but it needed assistance. It didn't zip and only peeped. He is currently a couple of days old. The other three after eggtopsy died during lockdown. I haven't been able to figure out exactly why. I am very new and trying my best. But the failure is getting to me. I have another incubator on the way and am hoping that this one will work better for me.
All I can tell you is what I know about the incubator in the picture. It is designed poorly there isn't any way to control the humidity without opening the incubator all the way up They were built over seas and were supposed to come with an insulated outer container . There was no way to put water into the incubator and no way to get it out if you put to much . Mine came with all these features in the instruction sheet but not on the incubator . I had been hatching with a homemade incubator and no problems for 20 yrs . and made the mistake of selling it . I purchased one like the one in the picture off ebay and bought $ 250. worth of hatching eggs thinking it was ready to go . It was the worst hatch in 20 years 4 survivors out of 36 eggs total loss . I did get the money back for that piece of garbage but lost what was paid out for eggs . Buy a Brinsea or some other better quality machine . If you could find a way to add and subtract water to adjust the humidity and a way to wrap it with insulation you might be able to gain control months from now . another thing to consider they are not calibrated the temperature on mine was off two degrees the humidity was also out of whack . I hope this will help you . I hate to see folks making the same mistakes I have in the past . As Eric Burdon once sang " I'm just a soul who's intensions are good Oh Lord please don't let me be misunderstood "

Back
Top Bottom