Getting started

sdetwiler333

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 31, 2014
Warsaw, IN
Hi all: We are just thinking about starting a small backyard chicken coop. So I will have lots of questions. I got interested in this after hearing that chickens are now being raised here (U.S.A.) then being sent to China for processing , then being shipped back. Doesn't make sense. But there are no requirements for labeling that they were processed in China. That is scary to me. We, my family are all becoming more aware of wanting to know where our food is coming from. So will probably be checking out some of the other forums as well.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Michael has given you good links in terms of your coop planning.

For breeds it depends on what you are looking from. If you are wanting lots of eggs then look into leghorns, sex links and australorps. For meat look for heavy breeds such as game birds. Dual purpose breeds are also very meaty so barred rocks, sussex, buff orpingtons, black australorps, faverolles, etc are all good. If you are just wanting pets then silkies, cochins and buff orps are your best bet. If you are wanting pets and layers then buff orps, black australorps, sussex and barred rocks would be good.

There are tons of selections and suggestions out there which may seem overwhelming but chicken keeping is fun and if you pick the correct breeds and build the right coop, you won't regret it!!

Glad you joined!

Welcome to BYC. The best info on getting started is here. It sure helped us.

And yes, I want to know what I'm eating! Our birds are free range, organic. And the eggs are way better than the commercial junk!!

Doing it yourself is the way to go. You know what they eat, how they live and where they've been. Commercial chickens are horribly mistreated and chemically processed.

Best of cluck to ya!!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. There is nothing like getting your own fresh eggs and meat. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any particular breeds in mind?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Yes, nothing better than home grown food! You have no idea what goes on over seas with our food. Scary stuff!!

This is the place to be for all the learning and fun. You might start in our learning center for all kinds of tips and hints on raising your new flock...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

And if you need help with raising your meat chickens or processing them, stop by our Meat Birds forums where you can ask all kinds of questions...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/21/meat-birds-etc

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Thanks for the welcome.I'm going to come right out and admit I don't know the first thing about this. How to make the coop , how much space is needed etc. My goal is to have both layers and chickens for meat, and to try to keep a steady rotation going of young birds and layers and birds for eating. If there is a do all breed that is what I would be most interested in. Looking forward to a great learning experience.

Back
Top Bottom