Getting the babies used to their coop -- suggestions?

I'm also on Night #3. I tried the flashlight shining out through the door... only Ida was smart enough to go into the coop. She kept pacing from in the coop to the doorway, calling to the idiots hiding under the coop in a clump, telling them to get inside. She was making quite a ruckus!

Once I was certain they were all bedded down and not budging, and Ida was standing her ground and staying in the coop, I finally climbed in and manhandled the stubborn birds into the coop. Sigh.

Almost two weeks of going out at last light and putting them in the coop, then of putting them on the ramp and putting them in, finally they figured it out----the bird brains.
woot.gif

Not sure this will help this flock but future ones, they say its best to put them in the coop first and let them in just the coop for about a week till it feels like home, then open up the run and let them explore. That way the coop is their comfort zone area/home that they will naturally go to. Bright light in the coop does some good too.

Thank you for posting your dilemma with your chicks not using the ramp to get into the roosting area for the night. Mine are 6 weeks and we put them in the coop for the first time this past weekend. Not a one has taken the initiative to go up the ramp and into the roosting area. So far each evening we've had to coax and catch each one and pop them into the roost. Tonight, instead of picking them up, I bribed them up the ramp with hard boiled egg. At least it worked for 4 out of the 7. I think it's going to take a week or so of sweet talking, bribing, and ritual...hopefully they'll get it! Good luck!

Almost two weeks of going out at last light and putting them in the coop, then of putting them on the ramp and putting them in, finally they figured it out----the bird brains.
woot.gif

Thanks for this! I finally see light at the end of the tunnel ramp. Night #5 and I had to put them in again. But I do believe that eventually they will get it.

Thank you! Thank you! For posting this!!!! I thought my birds were either mental or had a problem with the coop....to which I was feeling a bit offended. Mine did the same thing, only there was lots of "OMG MOM! Put us back in the brooder!!" sqwaking. I will try the suggestions you guys have!!

Night #6, I put a 75-watt soft-white bulb in, instead of the red bulb. This time a few of them found the coop, but not all of them... I went around the back of the coop, where I could be near the ramp, and I lured the others over with dandelions through the coop fencing, and finally got the rest all up there. Once they got up the ramp enough (to get to the treats) to see the coop entrance, they went right on through just fine. Just a matter of figuring out how to get from underneath into the coop. It's like there's a memory leak in their bone-brained heads.

They wouldn't settle down with the light on (even though it was going to be a cold night and I didn't know if they would be okay without heat) so I did finally turn it off... and they were just fine this morning. So I'll continue turning it on before it starts getting dark, and turning it back off again, and see if they can figure it out now.

Night #7, I turned on their 75-watt soft white light again, and this time I just went in the house to let happen what was going to happen. Got a bunch of chores done, and by the time I went back outside to check on them, it was pitch dark (except for their light). Not a bird in sight. Everyone was in the coop!
wee.gif

I switched off the light and they all bedded down. I'm so proud of my little peepers!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom