Getting the chicks i want.

Look on facebook marketplace and craigslist also. I don't like FB and try to stay far away from it but people do post some good deals from time to time.

Also look into your state thread on here and see if anybody wants to help ya out.

Mt Healthy will do a small order of 3 chicks for $30 plus cost of chicks. They have a TON of variety. Limited availability on some breeds, but they do still have a lot of chicks available. What breeds are you looking for? I can tell you if they carry them…

Russian orloff, Easter egger (my sweet Astrid got snagged by a hawk), Ameraucana? That might just be another Easter egger, and an olive egger. If I had more room, I'd get a splash maran... but sadly my vacancy has a limit. I'm basically looking for colored egg layers with beards. Bearded chickens are my favorite! 🤩

Attachments

• 20230306_174021.jpg
    20230306_174021.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230306_173652.jpg
    20230306_173652.jpg
    320.8 KB · Views: 2
Look for local breeders and farmers who will sell. We have some around but are sold out of pullets for this year. Depending where you live, you may find a hatchery and be able to pickup.

I agree with others, for small #s and/or brand new chicken owners, it's worth going out of your way to find them locally and pick them up, rather than ship. There is a lot of risk involved in shipping chicks, esp small #s because they stay warm during shipping via body heat and fewer chicks = less body heat. Also, if you think of chicks as "packing peanuts" and you don't want the peanuts to bounce around in a box during shipping, you need more "peanuts."

Back
Top Bottom