Getting the chicks in the hen house

Chick_lady09

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2020
Newbie here. Our hen house and run are connected. Our chickens are only a couple months old. They spend a lot of time during the day inside the hen house. But for the last couple of nights I've noticed them trying to sleep in the run area instead of the house. Do they need a light in their run area? Will that help them go in their house at night to get in the dark? Thanks in advance

They might actually need a light in the henhouse. You could keep them only in the henhouse for a bit provided there's enough space, to teach them that it's home. You could also pick them up each night and put them in, and eventually they'll get the message.

It sound like we have a similar coop set-up. The first week was rough for me, too. I had to corner and herd them into the coop/run, then catch & place them individually into the house, & then close the sliding wooden door to keep them in for the night. I never did the 3 day lock-in method, so that is probably why I struggled.

Two things I eventually figured out to get my chicks going to bed on their own without needing to close the slide-door: 1) develop a regular bedtime routine involving food and using the same verbal cues, and 2) use a light to lure them in.

I always enter the coop the same way as dusk approaches, then feed and treat my hens, so they are full and ready for bed. Then I turn a small plant light on in the coop. It works like a charm. One by one they enter the run and after about 10 min of pecking order decision-making over who goes up the ladder 1st, 2nd... they eventually climb up & go inside on their own. Once everyone has had a few minutes to scratch the bedding & get settled, the light goes off & all goes quiet.

The biggest change I made, though, was with the coop. Most pre-fab coops use flimsy, inclined ladders with open rungs, which causes slipping & fear. To fix this issue, I bought rubber stair traction at Home Depot ($2 worth) and cut it to fit each rung for better traction and also to visually close the opening between rungs. It's still a flimsy ladder vs a more gradual & secure ramp, but it looks & feels safer to them, so now they are not afraid to climb it. I did need to place them on it and help them up initially, but it only took a day or two before they were all using it without any help.

Good luck!

Newbie here. Our hen house and run are connected. Our chickens are only a couple months old. They spend a lot of time during the day inside the hen house. But for the last couple of nights I've noticed them trying to sleep in the run area instead of the house. Do they need a light in their run area? Will that help them go in their house at night to get in the dark? Thanks in advance

Chick_lady09...my first flock would all file into the hen house like clockwork every single night....the new babies I have this year are completely the opposite. Ive been having to go out just at dark and place each of them into the house...and it has been getting more and more difficult every time. There is this ONE little hen that I just KNOW is laughing at me while she's wearing me out chasing her around the run. Every night i'm actually trying to come up with a way to "trick her" or outwit her so I can catch her...she's getting pretty smart...and annoying. LOL

Hello Chick_lady09, Welcome to BYC
I agree with a coop that has light in it. A window as first choice. That gives enough light to see where to roost. It goes ‘out’ by itself. But a small light until the have roosted is second best.
Another issue can be the roost or the inside climate. Are the roost comfortable? On the right height? Is there enough ventilation? Show some pics for a reactions or look into some articles about these subjects.

Giving some grains as a treat before bedtime does wonders.

Chick_lady09...my first flock would all file into the hen house like clockwork every single night....the new babies I have this year are completely the opposite. Ive been having to go out just at dark and place each of them into the house...and it has been getting more and more difficult every time. There is this ONE little hen that I just KNOW is laughing at me while she's wearing me out chasing her around the run. Every night i'm actually trying to come up with a way to "trick her" or outwit her so I can catch her...she's getting pretty smart...and annoying. LOL
Bossy older hens often don’t won’t the newbies on the same roost. I would make another roost for them a bit lower and not too close to the old roost.

But for the last couple of nights I've noticed them trying to sleep in the run area instead of the house.

Where were they sleeping? Did they go there on their own? Has something changed in the way you mange them? Some photos of you coop, inside and out, might give us some clues.

Until mine start sleeping on the roosts at night, they sleep in a group in a low spot. There is no set age when they start to roost at night.. My brooder-raised chicks tend to start sleeping on the roosts when they are a little older than yours but I have had some start as young as 5-1/2 weeks. Each group is different. My grow-out coop is elevated. The lowest spot is on the run floor. The first time mine get access to that run they tend to want to sleep there no matter how long they have been isolated in that coop section. I don't know what your coop looks like and I don't know the backstory of how they have ben managed and housed, but your story sounds familiar.

Do they need a light in their run area? Will that help them go in their house at night to get in the dark?

No, not in the run area. They need to be able to see well enough to go to bed in the coop. My windows and open ventilation areas covered with hardware cloth provide that. If it is really dark in there a light or just a glow stick may help.

But the main thing you need is for them to want to go in there at bedtime. If they want to they will, if they don't they won't. The way I get mine to want to is to go down at dark when they have settled down and are pretty easy to catch and lock them in the coop for the night. One time I only had to do that once. A couple of times I had to do that for three straight weeks before the last few got the message. I typically have broods of around 20. If you have a lot of light outside they may be hard to catch.

Sometimes they need to be physically placed or guided into the coop until they get the idea. They shouldn't need a light unless the coop is excessively dark.
Even if the coop has tons of windows, there seems to be a phase when they won't go in.
I use a battery operated puck light, turn it on an hour before roost time, turn it off when I lock up after dark. Usually only need to use it for a few nights, then they get with the program.

Back
Top Bottom