Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Well my Orust all have strong veins. My other eggs are just dark enough not to be able to make out things clearly with my regular lightbulb. Hence why I ordered one of those super flashlights. I still haven't fessed up to having the rares in the incubator. I sold an Olive Egger roo with two hens to make room for new chicks. My DH is holding my math at 12. So I am going to have to fess up soon. I was hoping to finish the new coop and run before doing so. He is always on to me about jumping in at a run and putting the cart before the horse. And he is not totally wrong .......but I had a chance to get the rare eggs for $49 on an auction on Ebay. One of those Orust chicks are going fro $99 unsexed at Greenfire. To me it is worth the gamble and hard work it will entail to hatch them keep one of the breeds and sell the others or keep two of the breeds and sell my Olive Eggers. If he is going to hold me to 12 then they may as well be 12 rare chickens that I can make more money with.

Well my Orust all have strong veins. My other eggs are just dark enough not to be able to make out things clearly with my regular lightbulb. Hence why I ordered one of those super flashlights. I still haven't fessed up to having the rares in the incubator. I sold an Olive Egger roo with two hens to make room for new chicks. My DH is holding my math at 12. So I am going to have to fess up soon. I was hoping to finish the new coop and run before doing so. He is always on to me about jumping in at a run and putting the cart before the horse. And he is not totally wrong .......but I had a chance to get the rare eggs for $49 on an auction on Ebay. One of those Orust chicks are going fro $99 unsexed at Greenfire. To me it is worth the gamble and hard work it will entail to hatch them keep one of the breeds and sell the others or keep two of the breeds and sell my Olive Eggers. If he is going to hold me to 12 then they may as well be 12 rare chickens that I can make more money with.

Oh wow...I didn't know what an Orust was, so looked it up. They are beautiful!!! Good grief!!! A dozen hatching eggs for $49 is a great deal too! Explain that to DH. Lol. You can definately profit from them. I would love to have a trio. So glad to hear the eggs are doing well. Keep me in mind when sell some of them. I'm in Charleston, WV. I just tossed a dozen of my ameracaunas eggs in the bator. This will be my first hatch. Wish me luck. I have 5 young black copper marans I'm hoping to cross with to get olive eggers. Is that how you got yours?
Keep us updated, and please post pics of the Orust chicks.

@ozexpat
See you've been on BYC but haven't posted in 2 weeks. Hoping all is well with you and you are just too busy!
frow.gif

I didn't know what an Orust was either. After looking it up, I don't think I would ever be interested in this breed. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good fit for others, just that they are not for me. Good luck with your hatch, and get busy on that coop....LOL!

I didn't know what an Orust was either.  After looking it up, I don't think I would ever be interested in this breed.  That doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good fit for others, just that they are not for me.  Good luck with your hatch, and get busy on that coop....LOL!

Oh I just thought they were beautiful!! I love black and white critters! Even their feet and legs are mottled black and white! It sucks being retired and poor...or id have a trio. Grin.

I didn't know what an Orust was either. After looking it up, I don't think I would ever be interested in this breed. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be a good fit for others, just that they are not for me. Good luck with your hatch, and get busy on that coop....LOL!

Well, they are only one third of the eggs. It was 17+ eggs and she sent 19. 5 Neiderrhieners, 6 Orust, and 8 Twentse. I was after the Neiders. One Neider arrived crushed (although the box was fine and the eggs around it fine). I suspect a hairline crack that wasn't immediately evident. So there was no walking away from that. I am hoping my new flashlight gets here soon so I can see into the darker eggs better. I accidentally broke one of my blue Sapphire/OE eggs that was in the bator while looking at it and had a one and a half inch embryo in it so maybe the others are doing well too.

Back
Top Bottom