Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

[​IMG]

poor Bernie has his birthday in the midst of our hatching dramas

1 person likes this.
  2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

between a temp spike to 107 on day 18, 4 x 1.5hr power losses on day 19 an ant invasion on day 21 murdering chicks hatched and pippers, late deformed hatches on day 22. it looks like it

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    oh oz! I am sorry! Stinks he didn't catch the issues soon enough, terrible I am sure he is so sad too!
    The ants kill that fast? what kinda ants are they! Don't let them at your kids for petes! WOW! Poor Bernie and Mrs!

4. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Oh no!! :( I will start collecting for you again!! No worries. We will all pitch in!!! Can't have GTFOH fail we will not give up so easily!!
    Onward soldiers!! Lol

5. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA
    Sorry Oz :( you are determined and will overcome this. The egg runs will continue!!!

6. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    ABSOLUTELY!!

7. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    oh OZ sorry to hear about that. I think you are getting a handle on the power and the humidity. For the ants, if your bators have legs or on a table with legs, set the legs into cans with some water and a thin film of oil on top. You will have to check frequently if the diameter of the cans is small as the ants can and will build a bridge of dead bodies, but if you had wide shallow pans, that might work. That and mosquito netting is what old timers did here to keep scorpions from crawling into baby cribs.

8. el pollo rey

el pollo rey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    costa Rica
    If the ants are anything like here it can be a battle they can get up to a inch long and can strip a tree of it's leaves in a mater of days I have also seen them consistently cross creaks floating on the cut leaves like rafts they can be wicked bad left unchecked ,,,,,,,, sounds like war!

9. thebirdguy

thebirdguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2010
    Idaho Falls
    I have used the same ST-1000 thermostats as Oz on my homemade bators for a couple of years now.. love them!!!

10. Pancholoco

Pancholoco Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2012
    Sin, MX. now CA.
    hatch percentage?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by