Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    good to hear that you got those welfare people up & moving
    knowing the PI someone was probably waiting for you to slip em a little "greese $$$"
    don't worry about the silly eggs, my hens are kicking them out every single day
    so you can get all you like.

piglett

2. Squeaky McMurdo

Squeaky McMurdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2012
    Afton, Wyoming
    :( Down to 2 chicks. Of course it had to be the favourite and the only one I don't suspect to be a rooster. The details are in the Idaho thread but suffice it to say sometimes well-meaning neighbors suck.

3. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    well that stinks
    is this your 1st hatch?

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I have well meaning neighbors - they mean to eat any chicken of mine that crosses the line.

5. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing? Premium Member

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA

6. mikkles

mikkles Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2013
    MN

7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

here is one for the list

Ayam Cemani

[​IMG]
    You think you know black, but do you really know black?

The Indonesian chicken breed known as ayam cemani takes black into an entirely different realm. Their feathers are black. Their skin is black. Cut open an ayam cemani and you’ll find black muscle anchored to black bones. Even their organs are black. And what do you get for all this unrelenting blackness? One of the most beautiful chickens in the world. In Asia, ayam cemani are renowned as much for the mystical powers of their black meat as they are for their extraordinary ink-black feathers. In 2012, Greenfire Farms was able to locate and legally import pure specimens of this breed despite the current USDA export ban on importing live chickens from Indonesia. We have unrelated bloodlines of ayam cemani that should produce healthy and beautiful chicks for many generations. In 2013, we hope to provide purebred ayam cemani to a select group of chicken enthusiasts in North America.

8. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

I am on Greenfire Farms notification list for when they become availalbe. But you have to know they wont be going for less than 999 initially..... I will be waiting with baited breath when they start offering trios..... It took a year for Creme Legbars to come down low enough for a few of us lay people to be able to afford them.

deb

9. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    i like !!!!

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I have very good contacts in Indonesia. Saya Bahasa Indonesian - I spent more than a year altogether hanging out in Indonesia and have friends whose mother calls me her son. Ayam means chicken but Cerami is not a word. It would be pronounced Cherami

Now I have to get them looking for these chickens. A quick vaycay in Bali (my favorite place in the world) is called for - with a side trip to wherever these may be .................

I want to eat black chicken meat.

Last time Mrs Oz and I were in Indonesia we ate bat. It was black.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by