Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    Oh OZ you are crazier than I am and I thought I was bad ;-) Poor Bernie, maybe he thought it wouldn't be good with the leg problem? I eat most of mine, but if I'm not sure the cause of the problem I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Almost no one else I know does their own meat. Most people go 'oh how could you! I couldn't do that...' and I"m thinking if you were born 100 yrs ago you darn sure would be!

2. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    i hope in the end it all gets straight for ya OZ
    waiting for the Gov. is never any fun

3. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    if you hatch like we do you end up with lots of cockerels that just don't sell

so we are prepping ours for freezer camp

my wife can have a cockerel all processed & in the freezer in 20 min. or less

i stay out of her way when she has the big clever in hand [​IMG]

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

AND she looks so cute and loving in your avatar.....

5. kacklinkelly

kacklinkelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2012
    Southwest Desert
    I just completed processing my first meaties ever. Raised them from day old cute little chicks to 8 week old stinky beasts.
    My poor mother thinks I've gone off the deep end. She's in NY and thinks she has to come out to AZ to fix me.
    She thinks the heat has finally fried my brain.

I am enjoying this chapter of my life the most so far.
    Getting more in touch with my food source and providing healthier (non antibiotic laced/hormone induced, bland) food for the family.
    I can't believe that I did something Bernie hasn't yet [​IMG]. My husband wasn't too thrilled about the processing idea. But he did agree to be my Go-for.
    Must be the Filipino in him. Kind and gentle when he wants to be . Obnoxious and cheeky at most other times.
    By the way OZ - some of his family is from Cavite as well. Never heard of the place till I met him and his relatives.
    I have really enjoyed the photos that you and Piggy post. It gives me a better appreciation for where & how my mother in law grew up.
    She was quite private about her life. When she became a US citizen, it seemed like she left it all behind.
    (although she still took care of her relatives that remained in Cavite) She was very private and proud, all 4 foot 11 of her.

1 person likes this.
  6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I will take loads of pics for you this trip. Cavite is rapidly becoming a bedroom community for manila as the agriland is consumed by subdivisions.

1 person likes this.
  7. el pollo rey

el pollo rey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    costa Rica
    Oz can get it done !

8. el pollo rey

el pollo rey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    costa Rica
    Operation overfowl : update 0600 gmt day 20 two immigrant eggs have hatched on day 20 looks like a bantam Silkie and jersey giant if it all ended today it would be a mission sucsess moving forward through day 20 on to day 21 the future looks bright here on the equator ,, a special thanks to oz the man that told me it could be done and to go for it when every one else told me I was crazy, I can remember my son telling me Dad there is no way in Hell you can travel 5000+ miles with eggs and expect to hatch chickens,,,,, thanks again oz for your kind inspiration and confidence in this project ,,,,,,,

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  9. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

if people thought it was easy. everyone would be doing it. lets keep it our secret and not tell anyone [​IMG]

I see many many Americano chicks in your future.

Next time you will be plotting to take every breed you can find.

you better start planning coops

and we need photos

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  10. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by