Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

My mutt roo is not Poulet de Bresse but it will taste as good to me.

Poor Bernie had to put one down that had a bad leg. He buried it. I was so ****** at him for not eating it. We hatched 37 originally. 36 are still alive 17 weeks later. The Filipino chicken phenom has great husbandry skills.

Now if they would just start laying............

2. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    I butchered 9 cockerels at 16 weeks and they are yummy. So far just cooked in crock pot but I am going to roast the next half, we split them all in half, way to much meat for one person. Mine were hatched on 1/15 and the pullets that are getting larger wattles and combs and looking at the nests with interest and watching the older girls too.

3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I was hoping for pics this week but they were not taken of anything but the scovy ducklings. i will have a close examination of them in 6 days.

4. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    It's funny one of my barred rocks is really maturing much faster than the other one, same hatch. Last week the roosters were chasing them away and this week they are dancing fools for them. A couple more are not quite as mature but you can see the difference in the color of their combs and their bodies are starting to widen, looking less like a chick and more like a hen. Fun to watch.

5. scottcaddy

scottcaddy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

bernie can kill a goat, duck or even a chicken we buy live in the market or one of our local chickens we raise. Its just his **** Ameri-kanos he is having trouble with. [​IMG]

7. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    i myself like to follow the K.I.S.S. factor......keep it simple stupid
    with sooooo many things on this list & poor bernie not knowing much english i myself feel you might be setting yourself up for problems
    i know you want everything perfect OZ....however you may have bit off a little too much
    if things work out A-ok ....sweet
    if not just work on the chickens next time
    then the next trip the quail
    then after that the geese
    i really hope it all turns out flawless for ya
    but man that list makes my head spin [​IMG]

good luck
    piglett

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I am not worried about the items on the list - just need to get it all on there.

I have a cousin of Mrs Oz who will translate it to Bernies native tongue. I will have it in writing in Cebuano as well as spoken so he can ask questions. every egg, turner and tray will be labelled and color coded.

I did not want to complicate the hatch with partridge pheasant and rhea. lol

This will work

9. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    take a good look at the cinder blocks OZ
    many in the Philippines are very poor quality :(
    i know there are metal forms that you can buy over there so you can make your own
    my grandfarther always said to use a 3 to 1 mix
    3 sand to 1 cement
    that mix will make blocks that should outlast all of us
    i has to bust some up 1 time that he had done
    to save cement he had added granite rocks about the size of a coconut to the mix
    i'm out there with a 8lb sledge beating the ever loving [email protected] out of this cement
    in the end i was able to break the rocks but the cement still held together
    i could chip off a corner but that was about it.[​IMG]

why do these social workers want mrs, Oz to move ? if you were not a white guy they would have been glad to take a little greese money & sign all the paperwork on the spot i'm sure[​IMG]

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I sat on a stack of cinder blocks when we were building the garage. They crumbled. I sand was really shocked. It took me a while to find a decent block maker. He makes them to order with the right cement sand and gravel combo for 10 pesos (22 cents) each. cheaper ones are 6-8 pesos.

When we adopted the kids we filed for the court petition in the same area to speed things up as the dswd would need to send paperwork from region to region. when they dropped the ball and my wife filed a complaint with the presidentially secretary, the social worker tried to shift blame onto us to say we were not residents there. We had started out there but moved back to bacolod gradually as the adoption stagnated. So as a compromise and to get things moving, we agreed meet the resident requirements and they will complete all the paperwork in the six months. Its costly, but less toll on our family and will speed up the process.

we probably could have paid grease money but I never have and never will.its a principal and I dont want to ever say to my kids I bought them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by