Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

I am busy trying to work out how to position all the eggs on turners so that they will go into baskets to hatch and they will be easy to distinguish. I have Black Australorps, Orpingtons, Andalusians, Jerseys and Copper Marrans. I will put RIR and barred rocks in the turners with them, then leg band all the black chicks.

Ah the logistical ponderings of a crazy chicken man............
Are you trying to ID in the turner or in the Hatching tray....

In the hatching tray you could cut cardboard the hieight of the walls and put it in like a W which would make four or five compartments. Very little space removed. Then use binder clips to fasten on id tags for whats in the space. You could also use binder clips to change the shape of the W if need be.

Just a thought.

deb

Are you trying to ID in the turner or in the Hatching tray....

In the hatching tray you could cut cardboard the hieight of the walls and put it in like a W which would make four or five compartments. Very little space removed. Then use binder clips to fasten on id tags for whats in the space. You could also use binder clips to change the shape of the W if need be.

Just a thought.

deb
on the turner they will be labeled on the egg with a sharpie but to make it simpler for bernie, I was going to use baskets in the bator, They allow for maximum air flow and are tall enough to keep the chicks in the right basket till leg banded with a zip tie.

Oz the britts are falling behind on their laying duties : (((
so it looks like i'll fall short of the 24 mark
i'll have to show them a fry pan....maybe they will see into the future & straighten up
D.gif

good thing you plan on taking plenty of trips

Last edited:
on the turner they will be labeled on the egg with a sharpie but to make it simpler for bernie, I was going to use baskets in the bator, They allow for maximum air flow and are tall enough to keep the chicks in the right basket till leg banded with a zip tie.
OZ i had a problem because i only had 1 bator with a turner ( i now have 2)
anyhow what i did was i "stacked " the eggs
i added an extra dozen on top of the 41 that i already had
i think 10 out of those 12 hatched out :)
just something to remember if you ever end up with too many eggs for the turner space you have

piggy

OZ i had a problem because i only had 1 bator with a turner ( i now have 2)
anyhow what i did was i "stacked " the eggs
i added an extra dozen on top of the 41 that i already had
i think 10 out of those 12 hatched out :)
just something to remember if you ever end up with too many eggs for the turner space you have

piggy
been there done that. I need to do a lot more than double stack this trip. I refuse to admit how many eggs I will have on the grounds that I will be picked up and locked in a lunatic asylum.
wee.gif

I am currently working on a layout so I can rotate quail, guineas, turkeys and geese through the 2 hovabators as hatchers. I will use my display case bator and another one I will bang together (upright 3 shelves) that can also accommodate a dehumidifier. It will have to be a manual turner but I will link all 3 shelves so they all turn at once. Bernie will have to raise or lower a lever 3-5 times a day.

I sent the label. I will take what you have. No stress and thank you so much.

So, its Saturday Night. 10 PM. This time Thursday I will be sitting on the plane waiting to pull back.

In the cargo hold will be aprox

6 lbs of turkey eggs
2 lbs peafowl eggs,
4 lb goose eggs,
2 lb guinea fowl eggs
24 lbs chicken eggs
1 lb quail eggs

39 lbs of eggs. holy custard batman

that gives me just 5 lbs for packing, box included

oy vay

You're going to miss these runs once you have stock set up and laying!

Sounds mad! I have done secret estimation math on your weights.....a 75% hatch rate will still have you swimming in 'stock'!

Good luck.

I have a theory that the x rays that TSA use are not enough to kill a chick. This is based on hours and hours of research.

I work with xrays daily. Every now and then a woman gets xrays who does not know she is pregnant. Studies have shown that there is no increase in miscarriage or deformities in pregnancies where the fetus is less tha 3 weeks old. Additionally, the dosage used in luggage screening is quite low.

Any of the "extra" eggs that get shipped and are above my confirmed amount I will place in my regular luggage and see what happens.

So, its Saturday Night. 10 PM. This time Thursday I will be sitting on the plane waiting to pull back.

In the cargo hold will be aprox

6 lbs of turkey eggs
2 lbs peafowl eggs,
4 lb goose eggs,
2 lb guinea fowl eggs
24 lbs chicken eggs
1 lb quail eggs

39 lbs of eggs. holy custard batman

that gives me just 5 lbs for packing, box included

oy vay
sounds like someone had better get to work building more coops :)

Back
Top Bottom