Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

So, our neighbors already think we're pretty crazy because not only do we have our dogs in the house, but our chicks are in the house, too...lol.

If they catch me giving a chicken a bath...well...they may disown us...lol
around here it can reach -30 in the winter, i don't care if your using "C" or "F" that is still dam cold
when it drops to those temps most people with atleast 1/2 a brain bring the poor dog in.
now granted slead dogs do just fine in weather like that but most others will have a really tough time.
so having a dog in the house doesn't sound all that strange to me

i myself am more of a cat person , i only like dog with a side of rice
clap.gif

piglett

around here it can reach -30 in the winter, i don't care if your using "C" or "F" that is still dam cold
when it drops to those temps most people with atleast 1/2 a brain bring the poor dog in.
now granted slead dogs do just fine in weather like that but most others will have a really tough time.

clap.gif

piglett
bad na bad.
smack.gif

Day 25

A day of dramas thus far

The Guinea Fowl got sick of hanging out and decided to start pipping ahead of schedule. 6 have pipped.

A power outage has just finished. The mega truck battery held up running both huge bators for 5 hours.

Mok the duck guy sent me a message just now that 2 of the goose eggs under his scovy are looking very good!!

Bernie describes the goose eggs he is looking after as "not sure if there is a live chick all I can see is black. big end is air. the small end is clear" that's the perfect description of a 25 day incubated goose egg. 4 eggs are still viable so that makes 6.

until recently. i would have thought you were disturbed too
hide.gif
Awwww, you thought I was disturbed???

LOL!

Our neighbors don't bring any of their animals inside. Most of the mennonites around here do not. They don't see animals as pets, not even their dogs. They're not bad people, mind you, I guess it's kind of a cultural thing.

You should have seen the look on their faces when my husband built a cat house for our feral "tamest cat in the world" cat.

(What can I say? He was out of work last year for 7 months, recovering from a broken leg. He was bored. The cat needed shelter for the winter because he truly is feral, and even though we took him in as a kitten, he absolutely refuses to use a litter box.)

Oh...that's our future chicken coop in the background. We're still going back and forth on how to retrofit it. It has a double farm door on the other side. It's in rough shape...I'm not sure I really want to do much to it. I'd rather build a whole new coop.

Alas...we are still recovering from missing that 7 months worth of income. Money's tight around here!

great coop potential there.

my wife gave up her job so we can adopt our kids. We are in our 5th year of it. We expected 2 years. Sometimes its been tough here. One income is precarious. Our present and future is riding on me holding down a job in a cost cutting and competitive environment.

I was referring to the cchicken washers
Oooooh, LOL!

Yes, we understand about the single income. I left the teaching profession because we believe strongly in homeschooling our children (this was BEFORE we learned that our oldest had significant learning disabilities and our 2nd oldest is academically advanced...both children would most definitely not have had their needs met in our local school district).

My income was somewhat higher than my husband's....so it was a big step for us. But we believe in the power of God to provide our needs and He most definitely has.

Last year was a scare, of course. And it was hard. Very hard. But we survived, and are doing pretty well! And we had a blast for those 7 months, having Daddy home. It really was a gift most dads don't get to have...a very long period of uninterrupted, unimpeded time with his kiddos.

I'm actually quite missing not having him home this summer. Flying solo at the park with a 4, 5, 6 and 7 year old is not quite as fun. Especially when somebody comes to you saying, "I hafta go potty!" and you have to round everybody else up to make a quick run...lol.

clap.gif

piglett
yuckyuck.gif

At first I saw a few chickens and a big goose, then I thought "I am never getting into washing chickens" I then laughed a number of times through the rest of that vid.

I stand by not getting into shows, but he's not such a goose, just a funny guy.

Hey Oz, Did you get any Maran's make it?

Back
Top Bottom