Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    you can put sand down if you have a muddy run
    we are on the side of a hill so any rain drains away quickly
    how big is your grassy run?
    unless it's huge like 100' square the birds will soon eat every blade of grass.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. Sweetpea3829

Sweetpea3829 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2013
    The run is 38'X16'. Is that considered huge? LOL, I actually was thinking it was too small!! At least, it was smaller than I had wanted it to be...the chicken wire was too expensive to make it as large as I had wanted.

We have 8 birds in there, eventually dropping that down to 5, once three of the roosters mature enough for eatin's. So far, they have not destroyed the grass...in fact, in some spots, its a big tall.

Now, can you guys tell me about feeding and watering systems? We have your typical water and feed founts. Now that the coop is done, I'd like to suspend the water to avoid the sand being kicked into it. Plus, they sit on top of it. My other issue with the water fount is that it needs to be scrubbed pretty much daily, otherwise it gets green, even if you change the water. Is that normal? Am I pretty much going to have to scrub it daily? Those of you in cold climates, how do you manage your watering systems in the winter, when it's not so much fun to turn the hose on? I'd rather not be scrubbing a bird fount in my kitchen sink, kwim?

As for the food, I had mentioned before that I was surprised at how much they were eating. I think I mentioned that they were spilling quite a bit. I ended up placing their food fount inside of a tote bin, which was laid on its side. Only a few of the birds can fit in it at a time (though they certainly all try to fit at once), they can't knock it over (which was a problem), and most of the food that they spill lands in the tote. Plus, they have a really hard time pooping in their food.

Any other ideas for feeding, though?

3. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Here is a DIY thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/631861/diy-thread-lets-see-your-inventions/920#post_11885209 It has a stack of different home made feeder and waterer's to suit different size flocks and age birds.

That grass won't take long to be mowed down. We had grass, which seemed to be fine for a while and then it was like the nest day it was gone lol. Then it turned to mud in winter time, infused with poo. We topped it off with a few inches of river sand (as above) for better drainage and it has solved the mud and smell issues.

Check out that DIY thread, I am about to post a drinker in there now I finished yesterday.

Oz, I hope the packing has gone well :)

1 person likes this.
  4. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    My feeder hangs from a chain in the coop, very little wasted. They can't sit on the feeder since it hangs from the rafters of my shed style coop.

I have a large 5 gallon galvanized waterer that is on a cement block in their run. I also have a 1 gallon plastic waterer that is refilled twice a day. It is in the shade so it doesn't have to be washed but about once a week. And only that often when it is warm.

Don't really have the freezing issue here, we get a few mornings that are below freezing but very few in a row.

5. dpenning

dpenning Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 20, 2013
    Blue Ridge, TX
    This thread is epic! Took a week of reading every night to get caught up, now I have to wait for each post!

Well done OZ, on every level.

Back into the shadows. :)

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I am about 125 miles into the egg run. Khaki Campbell duck, Swedish flower and banty barred rock eggs do far. Crème legbars to go.

2 people like this.
  7. joannefiddler

joannefiddler Chillin' With My Peeps

Made it. Feel like I've been pedaling uphill for quite a while, but made it to page 335!! Worth every minute. Oz, I pray for your safety, wisdom, and success in your adoption and flock development. It is obvious that you have been and will continue to be rewarded for your efforts.

Between you and Bens-Hens you Aussies are quite the story tellers! Thanks for sharing it all.

Life forced me away from my chickens for about 12 years, but one week from tomorrow I will be welcoming a new flock. My daughter will be returning from Japan a few days before that. Happy, happy.

Best of luck on your flight tomorrow and have a sweet reunion!

1 person likes this.
  8. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    go OZ go load rite up on those eggs mate! [​IMG]

9. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    glad you have joined us
    what breed of birds are you looking to get?

10. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    when you get a little more money buy another roll of fencing
    just remember chicken wire is to keep chickens in
    it isn't much good at keeping things with big teath out.
    we use heavy wire fencing on the bottom then chicken wire up above that for a total height of 6 feet.

good luck
    piglett

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by